In-wall timer recommendation

Old 12-15-12, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In-wall timer recommendation

Hi! In my home, the previous homeowner had installed an Intermatic EJ351 timer to simultaneously control 3 outside lamps which are on the same circuit, wired in parallel. This timer does not work any more and I'm looking for a replacement unit. This timer has 2 black wires going into it, so the replacement timer should be able to accept these 2 black wires without requiring a neutral wire. My current timer has a simple 24 hour program, and is adequate for me. 7-day programmability is not necessary, but I could consider it if other requirements are being met. Finally, with the 3 lamps, I'd like to have the flexibility of using combinations of incandescent/CFL lamps and Christmas lights. Does someone have a recommendation for a replacement timer? It can be another Intermatic but doesn't have to be. It is more important that the unit be of high quality and not fault prone. Your suggestions are welcome.
Anup

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-12, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 413 Votes on 387 Posts
It used to be that Intermatic had relays in their timers and they didn't care what they were switching.
Now they have dedicated purpose timers.

You'd want to buy the timer that specifically says for CFL, ballast type lamps, etc.

These inwall timers are limited to usually a max of under 500 watts. I wouldn't use one to control an outlet. Get the single pole model. Comes with two black wires and a ground. Not the 3 way type.

On edit: They still make mechanical type timers that use moveable pins or trippers to fit in a single gang wall box. Those are good for higher current uses and have no type load restriction on them.

Last edited by PJmax; 12-15-12 at 07:39 PM. Reason: further clarification
Old 12-15-12, 11:23 PM
I purchased this Utilitech unit last summer to control my lighting panel contactors. I'd use it again.

Shop Utilitech Digital Commercial Or Residential Hardwired Timer at Lowes.com

Old 12-16-12, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There's one from GE that should do what you need:

GE 15 Amp In-Wall Smart Digital Timer

I've had good results with Wattstopper products too:

TS-400 Digital Time Switch

Old 05-12-13, 09:04 PM
After taking the above into account and doing some research on my own, I ended up buying the Intermatic ST-30 timer. It wasn't easy to install because there were a lot of wires in the same box. It also wasn't intuitive to program, but following the exact steps in the instructions (tiny font) worked. I do like the hands-off operation. I have programmed it so that the lights come on at dusk and turn off at a given time. I've also utilized the "random" feature so that there is variation in the on/off times.

Old 05-12-13, 09:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for letting us know your solution and how it worked out for you.

Old 05-14-13, 04:32 PM
Since this thread popped back up, I just want to mention that the GE timer Nashkat mentioned (GE 15071) DOES require a neutral. http://www.jascoproducts.com/support...Manual-Eng.pdf

But, the wattstopper does not:
http://www.wattstopper.com/products/...edium=referral

The Utilitech requires neutral http://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguide...003241_use.pdf