Basement pot lights

Old 12-20-12, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Basement pot lights

Hi,

I want to install some pot lights in my basement, and would like to know how many I should install and at what distance from each other. the dimension of the room is 18 feet 8 inch by 13 feet 8 inch. I will be puting drop ceilling, and the heiht of the ceilling will be around 7 feet. This area will be use as a play room for my little girl and movie room for us, therefor will be installing a dimmer switch. I found the type of pod lights that I will be using, there are 4 inch round pot lights. Also will be buying these Energizer PAR20 LED bulbs.
Energizer PAR20 LED Light Bulb | Canadian Tire

With this info, can you guys tell me:
1- How many pod lights should be installed
2- How far apart should the pod lights be installed from each other
3- How far apart should the pod lights be installed from the walls

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-12, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
I think you need to do some searching online for the specifications of the specific bulb you want. The website you linked does not say the model number of that bulb so you may have to contact them to find out what exactly it is.

Keep in mind that many LED lights have well controlled beams so think of your recessed lights and making cones of light aiming down at the floor. They will probably emit very little outside this cone. I've seen the beam angle for PAR20 LED lights vary from 20 degrees to 45 depending on the specific model. With your low ceiling height I think you need to be very careful to get wide angle bulbs since a 20 degree beam angle illuminates a relatively small spot on the floor and even smaller at table height. Compare that with some other models of recessed light, usually with incandescent or fluorescent bulbs, that have a diffuser to create a bright disc of light on the ceiling that spreads light almost 180 degrees.

Old 12-20-12, 07:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What Dane said.

1. Possibly 6
2/3. Equidistant from all walls and themselves.

Divide your room into 4 sections lengthwise and 3 sections width wise. Draw a grid. There is where your lights go.

Old 12-20-12, 07:13 AM
Is it legal to grow that stuff in Canada?

Old 12-20-12, 07:36 AM
The only info I could get on the bulb itself was that it is a medium angle... Don't know if this helps?

Old 12-20-12, 07:37 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
What about something like we have in our office boardrooms, where the room is circled with pot lights (1 every 4-6ft, 2-4ft from the walls) with floresent fixture(s) in the middle (seporate switch).
This way, there should be plenty of light for normal usage, and dimmed lighting for Movie nights.

Is it legal to grow that stuff in Canada?
Only if you don't get caught.

Old 08-31-13, 03:56 AM
Dont do ANY! If anyone has any links to a forum on how to change these lights once installed,let me know please.Its a never ending battle on changing the bulbs and they just dont give any light to any room!

Old 08-31-13, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
IMO 4" recessed are fine for accent lights or as a task light, but are too small for general lighting.

Old 08-31-13, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mugsy99, welcome to the forums! Just reach up and grab the bulb and twist it counterclockwise I don't understand what type problem you are having in removing bulbs from recessed cans. Can you elaborate more on what type fixture you have and the problems? Have you tried LED lights with trims?