Bathroom Light flipping circuit?

Old 12-31-12, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Light flipping circuit?

Hello all. For a while now the bathroom light has been blowing a circuit. The light is connected to a fan and both are turned on from one light switch. Every time you flip the switch to on, the light makes a bright loud pop and then I have to go into the basement to flip the circuit back. This happens even when a bulb is not installed. I haven't tried to put a bulb in since I believe it will do no good.

Note: I hope I used the correct terminology here, a bit of a novice in this department.

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-12, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to leave the circuit breaker off and then check the light housing and fan housing for a bare wire or two wires touching which is causing the short circuit. If you are not comfortable doing this, you need to get an electrican to check it out and repair it as soon as possible.

Old 12-31-12, 12:22 PM
Alright. When looking up in the lighting housing there is some insulation and then pretty open. So maybe I can get up in there and take a look. The wire leading from the fan to the light is only probably 3 feet long. So I should check that and see if there is perhaps a bad spot in it?

Old 12-31-12, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
I would suspect the problem to be in the fixture wiring or the attachment of the light or fan to the house wiring rather than in the house wiring but it never hurts to check it all.

Old 12-31-12, 12:34 PM
Look for any black (burn) marks. Check to see that wires do not have any bare spots that may be touching metal or another wire. You could disconnect the fan wiring and test the light - to eliminate to fan as a problem. Also check in the light socket to see that nothing is contacting the center and the metal threaded portion.

Old 12-31-12, 01:24 PM
I will make sure to try all of those things right now guys. I had gone up into the attic and looked around. I found the correct wiring but it all seemed to be in great shape.

Old 12-31-12, 02:14 PM
Ok so I have found that in the housing of the light where the bulb goes it looks a bit black. Also that is exactly where the loud pop and flash come from. So, do I simply need to replace the light?

Old 12-31-12, 03:03 PM
Depending on your skill level, you may be able to replace the light socket. The hard part is finding a replacement with a mounting bracket that works in your housing. If the current socket is riveted into the housing, you will have to drill it out. If it is held in by spring clips that mount to the housing, it will be easier.

If you go with a new housing, you will have to figure out how the old one is held in place, remove it and then try to find a new one of the same size.

If it is a brand name fixture, you may be able to find parts through their 800 number.

Old 12-31-12, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have found that in the housing of the light where the bulb goes it looks a bit black. Also that is exactly where the loud pop and flash come from. So, do I simply need to replace the light?
With the power off at the breaker, I would use something to lift the "hot" contact button at the bottom of the socket. With the power still off and my hands covered with a pair of clean socks, say, I would screw in a new light bulb, seating it securely but not overtightening it.

Then I would make sure the switch was off and turn the breaker on. Finally, I would turn the switch on.

If this doesn't correct the problem, you can start to look for a new fixture or some repair parts then.