Yard light installation

Old 01-03-13, 04:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yard light installation

I am going to install a yard light and have a few questions. It will be about 25 feet from the corner of the house and I have an outside GFCI receptacle available. Questions are:
What size wire should I run to the light? It is a very basic single light post with a 60 watt bulb. It will have a dusk-to-dawn sensor, so I would want power to the light all the time (no switch) Would I need 12-2 UF, or would 14-2 UF be o.k. ??

Also, I can't decide how to connect to the house current. I was thinking to put a plug on the wire and just plug in to the GFCI receptacle. Or, can I wire it into the receptacle.

Any assistance / suggustions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-13, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
Welcome,

The wire size will need to match the circuit feeding the receptacle now. A 15 amp circuit will need #14 or larger, a 20 amp needs #12 or larger. Cables used outdoors must be rated for use in wet environments. Type UF is one of those types.

Cables are not for use with cord caps like an extension cord so you will need to wire from the receptacle.

It would also be good to know how much load is already on the circuit to make sure there is capacity for the new load.

Old 01-03-13, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is at my farm, so I will check and see what amp the circuit is. The load should not be a problem. This is a dedicated circuit direct from the breaker box and the outside outlet is the only thing on the line.
Do I have any options if I wanted to just plug in the light at the receptacle?

Old 01-03-13, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do I have any options if I wanted to just plug in the light at the receptacle?
Not really. Cord-and-plug connections are for short-term use. You permanently installed pole light should be fed from the terminals on the receptacle. I would connect the cable to the LOAD terminals on the GFCI.

You will also need to protect the Type UF from physical damage by sleeving it in conduit from the receptacle to below ground level, and trench the cable at 24", minimum, as it goes to the pole.

Old 01-03-13, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you come off the GFCI load side you only need to be a foot deep.