Remove Recessed Light Fixture

Old 01-08-13, 02:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove Recessed Light Fixture

So, I need to remove a recessed light fixture in order to replace a bad transformer. The fixture is held in place in the ceiling with 2 clips. But I can't figure out how to remove the clips. Any tips would really be appreciated.

Here's a link to the installation instructions for the fixture (doesn't help me understand how to remove it!): http://www.waclighting.com/data/TOOL.../hr-801_sp.pdf

And I here's a picture looking at the inside of the installed fixture in case that helps.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-13, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull inward on the little tab you see at the top of the clip. That will release the tension of the spring clip and it will fall inward. Do that to all the clips and you should be able to withdraw the fixture fairly easily. Make sure your clips stay inside the canister or they may snag. Let us know if that works for you.

Old 01-09-13, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When I followed the link you posted, I got to the product specification sheet. You're right, that wasn't much help on installing or removing.

Chandler's advice should do it. If you'd like to see how it works, here are the INSTRUCTIONS: Remodeling Housing / Electronic Transformer Model: HR-801 from WAC Lighting.

Old 01-09-13, 12:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler - I was able to remove the fixture with your advice. The tab actually broke off when I used needle nose pliers to pull inward on it. This happened on both clips so the tab must be designed to break off. The next challenge is opening the transformer box but I'll put that question in another post. Thanks again.

Old 01-09-13, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
NO, keep this thread running. You have an audience, and we're ready.