[Help] This light fixture in my computer room keeps acting weird.

Old 01-11-13, 05:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
[Help] This light fixture in my computer room keeps acting weird.

This light fixture in my computer room keeps flickering.

It also doesn't want to turn off. The little knob at the bottom is supposed to turn it off when I turn it, but it doesn't.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Image gallery here (said images were too large to upload to here)

Photo Album - Imgur

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-13, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

Is there possibly a light dimmer installed on the lighting circuit?
It could cause the problem if there is one.

Did you try the bulb in another fixture?
Could be a defective bulb.

Old 01-11-13, 05:53 PM
The switch is shot. You can replace the switch although it's probably easier and won't cost much more to replace the entire fixture.

Old 01-11-13, 05:55 PM
@toolmon
Oh ok, might just need to replace the fixture.

How do I replace it? Not really sure. I'm a Web Developer, not really much of a hands-on building stuff and tearing it apart type person, especially stuff that has electricity in/on/near it.

@GregH
Nah, there isn't a dimmer anywhere, and the thing is, if I screw the bulb to the right or left it actually comes on but starts to flicker. Kinda odd. I tried the bulb in another place and it worked just fine. Also tried another bulb inside the fixture and it worked if I screwed it around a little, but still flickered and the little switch thing on the bottom wouldn't move.

Old 01-11-13, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just to eliminate the obvious try a different bulb and pull up the tab in the bottom of the lamp holder just a bit. If no change I'd check the connections and if they look good replace the switch. It is common for those switches to eventually wear out. Is it also on a wall switch?

Old 01-11-13, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How do I replace it? Not really sure. I'm a Web Developer, not really much of a hands-on building stuff and tearing it apart type person, especially stuff that has electricity in/on/near it.
To replace or repair it, buy the new fixture or switch first.

Then turn the power off at the panel, remove the light bulb, and remove the odd fixture from the wall. If you're replacing it, just undo one of the existing wire splices and redo it for your new fixture, one splice at a time (there should be three total, but there may only be two.

If you'r repairing it, undo all of the splices and take the fixture to a table. Unscrew the ring that holds the switch and lampholder assembly in place replace that with the one you bought, tighten it down and install the repaired fixture. The wires are connected color-to-color.

Personally, I'd replace the fixture with one that has a diffusing globe, or shade, or buy a replacement shade for that fixture. Barring that, I'd replace that unshielded CFL with a shielded one. The potential hazard from the trace of mercury in a CFL may be over-hyped, but the hazard of long-term exposure to the UV that they emit is not very well understood, IMHO.

Old 01-11-13, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have replaced several of those switches. If you have basic skills, they are easy to replace and run about $ 4 at the big blue box. They do tend to wear out fairly quickly.