Problem removing existing 4" recessed light fixture.

Old 02-13-13, 11:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem removing existing 4" recessed light fixture.

I began having problems with my 4" recessed light fixtures where the bulbs were losing contact with the base. So I began looking into removing the can to replace it with a new LED light fixture. The can had no visible means of how it was attached and the only information I was able to find was on the trim which had " ALLITE LIGHTING CAT NO ALV-90." I was unable to locate any information on the internet and I am unable to determine how to remove the can, I have discovered that the kitchen walls are plaster and the ceiling is drywall, so I believe it is a new construction unit. Can you provide any advice on how to remove the existing fixture so I can replace it with a new LED light fixture ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-13, 02:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do you have any access to the area above this fixture? Some LED's just screw into the light socket and are held in either via friction or wire bails. How are yours to be installed, or are you replacing the entire fixture?

Old 02-14-13, 11:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is no access to the light fixture from above, I am on the first floor of a two unit condo. I do not have the new light fixtures yet because I am unable to remove the existing fixture. That is my dilemma, how do I remove, what appears to be a new construction fixture, through a 4" opening without disturbing the rest of the ceiling? Do you think I would be able to cut the can out with some tin snips and possibly leave the remainder of the fixture inside the ceiling and out of the way of installing an new LED 4" remodel light fixture?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 02-17-13 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Remove table
Old 02-15-13, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
PJ, the OP believe they have new work fixtures with the frame around them. Their plan to cut out the old frame will work but will take some time and remodelers will need to be used. Or they could cutout a square of drywall and remove the old frame and install new new work fixtures and patch.

Old 02-15-13, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 823 Votes on 773 Posts
No.....you can't cut the old one out of the way.

I have never heard of the brand you mentioned in your first post....ALLITE.

Those fixtures are designed where the cans must be removable.
Try removing the trim if it uses one.
You should see two or three clips that clip into the can. I know that sounds kind of vague.
The can is white......the clips are usually black or silver.
Do you see anything like that inside the can. They will be at the bottom....near the entrance.

There is a little slot for a screwdriver where you would slide the clip up to unlock it and it would swing into the can.
The pic shows a representative view.

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-13, 11:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 823 Votes on 773 Posts
Ok......so you have new work cans. That means the cans should be removable then......but you still have the frames left behind. Most of those frames are pretty thin.....possibly the old work retrofit can will fit and lock in with the old frame in place.

Old 02-16-13, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It may be as simple as prying out the contact on the existing can light to make good contact with the bulb base. Many LED lights don't require a fixture change, as they are self contained as pictured below. Not sure if they are available in 4" or not, but it may be worth looking into.

Name:  led.jpg
Views: 18206
Size:  31.3 KB

Old 02-16-13, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
I think Chandler has the easiest fix, install 4" LED trims. Should be an easy fix as long at your can has a "normal" medium base socket.