Help - installing Honeywell RPLS540A in garage

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-13, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - installing Honeywell RPLS540A in garage

I just purchased two Honeywell 7-day Solar Programmable Wall Switches (RPLS540A). I installed one in my house to control the front door porch light (10W CFL), and it worked like a charm. I know this model requires 40W according to the instructions, but it's worked perfectly.

I recently tried to install the second switch in a new garage (replacing a photo sensor that worked erratically due to natural lighting) to control two-10W CFLs. However, after following a couple of the single-pole diagrams, I absolutely cannot get it to work.

The wiring coming from the power (breaker box) is 14/2...line (black), load (white), and a ground. There is also the same three wires going to the two CFL lights. The switch itself has a line (black), load (black), three-way (yellow) and ground (green).

The following is a diagram to the installation instructions: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2454EFS.pdf

Could anyone please let me know how the timer should be hooked up given my current configuration?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-13, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

The wiring coming from the power (breaker box) is 14/2...line (black), load (white), and a ground.
First some terminology, which may help clarify what you have and what needs to be done. The cable coming from the breaker box has a hot black wire and a neutral white wire. We can ignore the bare ground wire; it is an emergency drain that should only carry power if there is a fault. That entire cable is the line feed. The other two-conductor cable is the load feed.

There is also the same three wires going to the two CFL lights. The switch itself has a line (black), load (black), three-way (yellow) and ground (green).

The following is a diagram to the installation instructions: https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2454EFS.pdf.

Could anyone please let me know how the timer should be hooked up given my current configuration?
Gotta love it when companies outsource their production, and their packaging, and their printing! Gotta love it even more when they outsource the writing and editing of the instructions.

The upper SINGLE-SWITCH INSTALLATION diagram shows the switch being connected to an incorrectly wired switch loop. It shows the black (LINE) wire and the yellow (3-WAY) wire on the switch connected to the hot wire from the panel and the black (LOAD) wire on the switch connected to the wire feeding power to the light. You don't have a switch loop, so you need to ignore that drawing.

The lower SINGLE-SWITCH INSTALLATION diagram shows the power coming from the panel directly to the switch. This is what you have. Unfortunately, that diagram also shows the black (LOAD) wire on the switch connected to the hot wire from the panel and the black (Line) wire and the yellow (3-WAY) wire on the switch connected to the wire feeding power to the light.

No wonder you're having trouble figuring this out!

I would ignore the yellow (3-WAY) wire on the switch for a single-location installation, but they seem to insist that you use it. Given that, connect the black (LINE) wire and the yellow (3-WAY) wire on the switch to the black hot wire from the panel. Connect the black (LOAD) wire on the switch to the black wire feeding power to the light. Connect the two white wires together and push them back out of the way. Connect the two bare ground wires and the green ground wire on the switch together and push them back out of the way.

Having said all that, I notice that one of the first things Honeywell says about this switch is For use with incandescent and halogen lights up to 500 W. That's pretty close to saying "May not work with fluorescent lights, including CFLs."

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-10-13, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CFLs doesn't work with this model

I wanted to buy yesterday this model of timer and I remember that they say it doesn't work with CFL...interesting that for you once did work but ....

Old 06-10-13, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums, Pad. This thread seems to have run its course four months ago, and I don't see anything in it that indicates that the switch worked with the CFLs.

If you have a question, please start a new thread anytime.

Closed Thread