recessed lights non-IC rated

Old 02-28-13, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question recessed lights non-IC rated

we've had 5" recessed lights installed. They are not IC rated. The installer covered them over with existing insulation. (Prior to installation, he indicated that he was aware of insualtion issues, as he had worked on a job previously where he learned from experience the need to ventilate some recessed lights). The lights worked fine for a day or so, but two do not work now. Thinking that the old R-2 light bulbs might have burned out, I changed them. I tried them in different sockets, however, and the bulbs are good........So, what is the issue? Do we have to replace the entire recessed light fixtures, or is it a question of a burned out wire or part? Should we replace the fixtures with IC rated only? Do they make 5" IC rated recessed lights? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-13, 07:48 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
what is the issue? Do we have to replace the entire recessed light fixtures, or is it a question of a burned out wire or part?
The issue is most likely a loose connection in one of the J-boxes. See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light...

Should we replace the fixtures with IC rated only?
Yes.

Do they make 5" IC rated recessed lights?
Juno and Halo both do. Others may.

Old 02-28-13, 08:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like it's time to get the installer back to repair his mistakes on his dime. Was he a licensed electrician? Did he build boxes around the lights?

Old 02-28-13, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
In addition to using the wrong housings, your area may require AT or air-tight housings in along with being IC rated.

Old 03-01-13, 03:50 AM
Hey, thank you for the input on this. This is a great website and you are very kind to take the time to consider our questions.

By the way, yes, our installer knows he has to come back to "finish" the job. I suspect the problem with the lights may be related to the wiring of a couple of new receptacles he installed in the kitchen. He left saying they had been activated, but only one works. I'm guessing there's a loose wire somewhere. My inclination is to have him swap out the lights for IC rated ones of the same size.

Old 03-01-13, 05:21 AM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
In addition to the IC rating, many will also carry the AT (air tight) rating as well. Preventing the air leakage is important as that warm moist air not only waste energy, it can cause condensation issues.

Bud

Old 03-01-13, 05:50 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I suspect the problem with the lights may be related to the wiring of a couple of new receptacles he installed in the kitchen.
He did put the kitchen receptacles on a dedicated 20 amp circuit not the same circuit as the lights didn't he? By national code the lights can't be on a kitchen receptacle circuit (SABC).

Old 03-04-13, 06:03 PM
Any recessed lights that are installed with unconditioned space above must be air tight and insulation contact rated. It's possible the thermal protectors are tripping in the housing as the non IC cans will get very hot and shut off. Usually this causes a christmas light effect by turning off and then on again once the cans cool down. Change them out.