hooking up ceiling fan with light fixture

Old 03-04-13, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hooking up ceiling fan with light fixture

Background: I'm trying to wire a ceiling fan with 3 wires coming down from the ceiling. Two of the wires go to the wall switch that I'm assuming control the fan and light of the ceiling fan - 2 separate wall off/on switches. I know this because I went up in the attic and looked. The other wire from the ceiling is a hot wire, which I'm assuming goes to the breaker box. The multi-meter shows this to be hot when I touch it to the black and white wire. All 3 wires have a white wire and a black wire.

The ceiling fan has a white, black, and black and white wire. In what configuration should these wires be wired together?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-13, 04:03 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am not sure what you are writing. Do you mean you have two cables at the light. A cable is a metallic or non-metallic sheath containing two or more wires. What is the wiring at the switch.

Old 03-04-13, 04:46 PM
I have 3 non-metallic cables, 2 wires each, coming through the ceiling into a box, which I'm trying to wire to a ceiling fan with a light kit. By wiring at the switch, do you mean at the light switch on the wall that turns the ceiling fan/light on? If so, there are two on/off switches on the wall, one turns on the light on the ceiling fan and the other switch turns on the ceiling fan.

Old 03-04-13, 05:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
With a multimeter or test light but not a non contact tester determine which cable is hot at the light.
At the ceiling:
  • Connect the black of the hot cable to the whites* of the switch loop cables.
  • Connect the black of one switch loop cable to fan motor black.
  • Connect the black of the other switch loop cable to the black/white of the fan light.
  • Connect the white of the power cable to the white of the fan

At the switches one cable to each switch.

All grounds tied together and to the box if metal. A fan rated box must be used. If the box has mounting ears that take 8-32 machine screws it isn't fan rated.

*The whites of the switch loop cables must be recolored black or red or any color but gray or green at both ends using colored marker tape or a felt tip marker.

Old 03-04-13, 06:07 PM
Thank-you for the reply. I'll try it in the morning. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help.

Kathleen

Old 03-11-13, 08:36 AM
Moved question to a new topic.

Last edited by KathleenM; 03-11-13 at 11:25 AM.