moving a light hooked to three way switch

Old 03-09-13, 08:12 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
moving a light hooked to three way switch

I am trying to move a light that is in the middle of a three way switch set up. I have attic space to put the existing junction box but my concern is how to hook to the existing connection to extend the wire? Can I just attach to the neutral, black, and ground with wire nuts and still have the switches work or do I need to do something special? I am trying to move the closest light to the left over the counter top peninsula. The switches are next to the window in pic and directly behind me next to door. Name:  IMAG0404.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  18.9 KB

Old 03-09-13, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You want to relocate the fixture.
What do you plan to do with the junction box where it is now ?

You can extend the wire from the location to the new location or you can pull that box up into attic and convert it into a junction box. Then you could patch existing hole.

Easiest to use existing box and just extend the wiring to your new location.

Old 03-09-13, 09:09 AM
M
I am hopeing to move the box to the attic and turn into a junction box so i can patch the old hole and have it look origanal. I am changing the light to a diffrent style. my concern is more how to make the connection from the junction box to the new light box because the 3 way switch can i just patch a new wire in as if it were any normal light?

Old 03-09-13, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Absolutely. You would run a piece of two wire w/ground, the same gauge as already in use, from the box to your new location.

If you are lucky.... you can just unfasten that old box turn it up or at least get enough spare wire to be able to work on it. Make your connections and then install a blank cover on the old box.

Old 03-09-13, 09:15 AM
M
sweet that is what i was hoping and thought. but I wanted to be sure Thank you very much for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: