Adding Fixture to Stucco house

Old 04-07-13, 10:20 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Fixture to Stucco house

I googled this and the answer seems to be to use a pancake box. The only reason I'm hesistating is that many of the light fixtures with motion/light sensors have very little or even no room in the back for the wires.

I do have access to the interior wall of course (garage) but I don't think even a new work box will work. My stucco is probably 1/2", 1/2" or so of blue foam insulation then the sheathing puts almost 2" between the stud and the stucco surface.

The existing exterior fixtures on house use the pancake boxes on top of blue foam insulation.

I'll go with the pancake but just want to make sure there is not a better solution before I make the hole.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-13, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Most wall-hung fixtures can be mounted to a standard wall box. Those can be very deep, if need be.

That said, if all that needs to be in the box is the wires from a 14-2/G cable and the wires for the fixture, a 4" pancake box should be large enough.

Old 04-07-13, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
What I have done for heavier fixtures is to cut a hole for the junction box so that it screws directly into the wood sheathing. You can use a utility/handi box or a 4" round box by 2 or 2-1/8" deep.

Old 04-07-13, 11:23 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I was able to measure the thickness of the stucco + foam + sheathing at 2" - 2&1/4".

So, stucco + foam is probably about 1.5" and that is a standard box depth. I will use your method.

Old 04-07-13, 11:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could use an old work fan box between the studs or a new work octagon box and Madison clips between the studs.

This shows use of a Madison clip with a receptacle box but use with an an octagon box is similar.