Mounting new light that never had a box

Old 04-21-13, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mounting new light that never had a box

Ok, I'm replacing a very old porch light, and having pulled it what's left is in the attached pictureName:  Ceiling.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  26.7 KB.
Basically I'm thinking that I should just take advantage of the fact that the hole is right against a stud and just cut out a precise square to fit a shallow electrical box in. The replacement light fixture is fairly large so the hole will be covered by a sizeable margin, and the fixture is deep enough that even if the box protudes a bit, the fixture should still be able to tighten to being flush to the ceiling.
So, are there any other concerns I should have but am missing? Or any extra tricks I should look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-13, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
As you already know, you need to add a box. Since you have armored cable, you need to use a metal box and a metal connector for MC/AC cable with a lock nut. Using a 4" round shallow pan box would likely be the easiest choice. Depending on your fixture, it could be either surface mounted, or recessed by cutting the paneling away to expose the framing. Just attach the box to the framing with some course thread screws.

Old 04-21-13, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm thinking that I should just take advantage of the fact that the hole is right against a stud and just cut out a precise square to fit a shallow electrical box in.
Why do you need to use a shallow box? What is the distance from the face of the beadboard to the top of the ceiling joists?

The replacement light fixture is fairly large so the hole will be covered by a sizeable margin, and the fixture is deep enough that even if the box protudes a bit, the fixture should still be able to tighten to being flush to the ceiling.
While the box supplying this fixture can be surface mounted, as Tolyn said, if the fixture canopy can be pulled up tight against the surface of the ceiling (which you seem to think is possible, it's better practice to mount it so that it is flush with the ceiling or even recessed into it just a bit.

How heavy is your new fixture?

any extra tricks I should look for?
Given the angle of the cable to the ceiling, either using a 90o cable connector, for a shallow box, or a box that's deep enough that its KOs will sit well above the beadboard should make your job easier.