bathroom 3 way split

Old 04-27-13, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom 3 way split

I am new here and I am looking for an answer to situation that I have at work. I am in maintenance at an apt. community. I have two 3-way switches in a bathroom, the bath fan is also tied in with the lights. Can the fan be separated by adding a double pole switch? I tried one, but it had on/ off on the toggles. I don't think it is meant for 3-way use. I can't add another switch next to or above, as it is tile and would be to much work. Any help would be great, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-13, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It all depends on how it is wired. If the fan is wired off the lights, IE: there is no separate switch leg in the switch box for the fan, this would not be possible, unless you have conduit in the walls, then re-pulling a new switch leg will not be an issue.

Your could get a 3 way/single pole stacking switch, but adding another switch will also not help you unless you have two switch legs in the switch box, or the above conduit wiring method.

Let us know what wires you have in the two switch boxes and we can go from there.

Old 04-27-13, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since you are doing the maintenance, keep in mind the reason they were wired like that in a rental situation. Tenants fail to use the fans adequately, if at all, and it causes moisture/mold/mildew problems within the unit. I have intentionally wired fans and lights together at college apartment quads because they complained about the wallpaper falling off the bathroom walls and icky black stuff. My advice is to leave it alone. However, if you must do the change, you will need to install an over/under 3 way switch in the box and new 14-3 or 12-3 cable between the two switches and fan, allowing the fan to operate independently, but at both locations.

Old 04-27-13, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I like the" leave it alone" part. I figured thats why it was wired like that, to keep adequate air flow. I'm not going to spend the time and money for one person who doesn't like to hear the fan while shaving. Thanks