Kitchen Exchaust Vent Requirments

Old 04-28-13, 05:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Exchaust Vent Requirments

Hello all,

i purchased a home, which is being built. We had requested to have bulkhead removed in the kitchen.

Recently i went down and checked out the work in progress. and it seems as they have put in bulkhead.

Is there a requirement to have kitchen exhaust vent to go through the side wall?

its a detached home, we do have a neighbor but there are no windows facing for wall.

Right now they put in bulkhead to redirect the exhaust to go through the backyard wall.
Not sure if they made a mistake with the spec sheet. or is this a structural or requirement issue.
any thoughts on this?

I'm going to address this with the builder, but i just want to get some input on this, just in case they say its a structural or requirement issues, since they already did the work.

Here is how the kitchen looks like right now with the bulkhead.

Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 1.41.37 PM.png

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-13, 07:03 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Did you put your request in writing and receive an acknowledgement along with the added cost or credit? If not, your request probably never made it to the working crew. If you just asked the foreman on the job he probably has no power to alter the contract.

What you are calling a "bulkhead" I call a soffit. There MAY be a provision in your LOCAL building code, neighborhood zoning requirements or homeowners association covenants that require all venting to be on the back side of the house, only you can determine this as you are there, I'm not.

Generally speaking, exhaust ducts should be as short, straight and large as possible.

Oh, multiple postings in different categories will not get you an answer any quicker. In addition, it is contrary to the forum rules.

Old 04-28-13, 07:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Oh, multiple postings in different categories will not get you an answer any quicker. In addition, it is contrary to the forum rules.
Furd is correct. Your other post was deleted since you have an answer here and didn't in the other forum you posted too.

Definition of BULKHEAD

: an upright partition separating compartments
: a structure or partition to resist pressure or to shut off water, fire, or gas
: a retaining wall along a waterfront
: a projecting framework with a sloping door giving access to a cellar stairway or a shaft
Source: Bulkhead - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

So maybe when you called it a bulkhead they didn't understand you.

Old 04-28-13, 10:10 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes got in writing. They said if possible they will. (Builder explained to me what Bulkhead was) That's why I'm trying to figure out before hand if there are restriction to having a side vent

Old 04-29-13, 01:08 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You're going to have to ask the builder why he ignored your request. It could very well be that restrictive covenants in your area require all vents to be on the back side of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: