Kitchen light wiring problem!

Old 05-10-13, 08:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen light wiring problem!

I hope I can explain this alright. I'm adding an additional light fixture in my kitchen. Currently there are two. Fixture #1 is not part of my problem. Fixture #2 has 2 romex wires in it. One comes from the house, or power source, and the other goes over to fixture 1. Those two sets of romex were connected inside the junctin box of fixture #2, and the light was wired accordingly. To add fixture 3 I removed fixture #2 and disconnected the romex wires. I pulled out the romex that connects to fixture #1 and ran it to my new junction box at fixture #3. I then ran a new piece of romex from Junction box #2 to the new junction box#3. I connected black to black, white to white, and grounds together in both boxes. When I turned the circuit breaker back on, none of the 3 fixtures had power! Everything else on that circuit works fine. Just no power to any of the wires of the kitchen light fixtures.
What did I do wrong????

Old 05-10-13, 09:42 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How is the switch wired?

Old 05-10-13, 10:05 PM
R
It's just a single switch that turns on both (or what would now be all 3) fixtures.

Old 05-10-13, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I would double check the cable that you think is the power source from the house. If it was working before it should be working now. Possibly when you made the connections the white or black wire came out of the wire nut or is not twisted tight with the other ones.

Old 05-10-13, 10:43 PM
It's just a single switch that turns on both (or what would now be all 3) fixtures.
Not an answer to my question. There are multiple ways to wire a switch. How it is wired can give information what the purpose of what the cables at the light do. Basicly is it ia switch loop with black and white wires on the switch which indicates power comes in at one of the lights or does power come in at the light as would be indicated by two black wires on the switch and a group of two or more whites connected only to each other. The switch is half your circuit and so far you are ignoring it like it is unimportant.

One comes from the house, or power source
How did you determine that?

Old 05-11-13, 06:58 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Fixture #2 has 2 romex wires in it. One comes from the house, or power source, and the other goes over to fixture 1. Those two sets of romex were connected inside the junctin box of fixture #2, and the light was wired accordingly.
If fixture #2 only has two 2-conductor cables in the box for it, and one is the panel feed and the other goes to fixture #1, how is the switch wired in?

Also,
Originally Posted by ray2047
How is the switch wired? ... There are multiple ways to wire a switch. How it is wired can give information what the purpose of what the cables at the light do.
Kill the circuit, pull the switch and tell us what wires you see and how they're connected.

Old 05-13-13, 11:53 AM
R
Thank you everyone who replied. I got it working. For some reason the switch was bad. I don't know if it something I did, or just cooincedence that it went bad during my project, but I just replaced the switch, and it all worked just fine.

Thanks agian!

Old 05-13-13, 12:22 PM
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: