Broken ceiling around the hole for light fixture

Old 05-12-13, 07:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Broken ceiling around the hole for light fixture

The ceiling around the light fixture hole got broken. Is this possible to fix that or I have to move the light fixture to another place? Lot of information online about patching the hole, but hard to find how to deal with such situation. Attached is the picture. Any suggestion is welcome

thanks

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-13, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First thing to do is to take the fixture down. Cap the white and black wires.
I would then remove the broken pieces of sheetrock. Cut where the red line is with a sheetrock knife to keep the paper from further ripping. You can play around and try to save them but I think it would be easier to remove the pieces to see into the ceiling.

It appears that the junction box may have just been hanging on the sheetrock. After you remove the broken pieces and lower the junction box..... shoot another pic so we can see what is in ceiling.

It looks bad but it is easily fixable. A perfect DIY job.

Name:  ceiling.JPG
Views: 14815
Size:  22.9 KB

Old 05-12-13, 08:59 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you can secure a new ceiling box, you may get away without having to repair the ceiling. Looks like the light fixture has a big enough base on it to completely cover the damage.

Old 05-12-13, 09:59 AM
B
hi, czizzi. Do you mean to secure to box to the ceiling stud? What kind of junction box can I use for that? The light fixture can definitely cover the damage.

Old 05-12-13, 10:04 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Bluesun, you will have to repair the ceiling. When you're finished, the ceiling box must be flush with or no more than 1/4" recessed into the face of the ceiling. The drywall or plaster or other ceiling material must be no more than 1/8" away from the box at any point.

You may not need to wind up with a seamless, professional job that looks like no damage was ever done or repaired. To paraphrase, it looks like the light fixture has a big enough base to completely cover the repairs.

Old 05-12-13, 10:05 AM
B
Thanks, PJmax.

Yes, I think the junction box is just hanging on there. Above the ceiling is the attic, which I haven't explored yet.

Old 05-12-13, 10:08 AM
Do you mean to secure to box to the ceiling [joists]? What kind of junction box can I use for that?
That depends on where the joists are relative to the opening.

The picture that PJ asked for, looking into the ceiling, may help us see that. Your looking, feeling and measuring around will also help us determine what kind of box might work best.

Old 05-12-13, 10:10 AM
Above the ceiling is the attic, which I haven't explored yet.
If you have access to this box from the attic, that may make more repair options available and make the work easier to do.

Old 05-12-13, 11:05 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you have access to the back side I would cut a piece of plywood as wide as the space between the ceiling joists and a foot longer than the damaged area. I would cut a hole for an octagon box in that plywood that matches the location of the current box. Temporarily remove any insulation from the area and clean away any dust. Glue the plywood to the back of the sheet rock with construction adhesive.

When that dries from the room side glue back either the removed Sheetrock or new Sheetrock. If new after the adhesive is set use the hole in the plywood as a guide to cut a hole in the Sheetrock to match. From the back side install a new work box with hanger bar. The fastening ears will have to be bent to point up instead of down

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: