HELP! Ceiling fan with remote and wall switch

Old 05-30-13, 09:53 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP! Ceiling fan with remote and wall switch

I have hung a new ceiling fan that came with a remote and no light. The previous fan had no remote, but it did have a light. The switch had been removed prior to my installing, so I have a mess of wires at the wall. What I have right now:
Ceiling-black to black, white to white, ground appropriately hooked up, and a stray red that I have capped.
Wall- (previously 2 switches) 3 black wires, 3 white wires, 1 red. Again ground are also capped together.

Please help with this mess!

Old 05-30-13, 11:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If you have described all of the wires in each box, then the 3-conductor cable with the red wire is the cable that goes from the switch box to the ceiling. One of the 2-conductor cables in the switch box is the power feed from your panel and the other is feeding out to other loads.

In the switch box, add enough bare or green pigtails to the ground wire splice to bond the box to ground, if it's metal, and to bond the switch. Splice the three white neutral wires together and fold that splice into the back of the box. Cap the red wire and fold it into the back.

Terminate the black wire from the 3-conductor cable to one of the two power terminals on the switch. Splice the black wires from the two 2-conductor cables together and add s black pigtail to that splice. Terminate that pigtail to the other power terminal on the switch. Terminate the ground pigtail to the ground terminal on the switch. Mount the switch and cover it.

In the ceiling, cap the red wire. Splice the black and white power-in leads on the remote receiver to the black and white wires from the switch. Bond the metal, fan-rated ceiling box to ground and add any ground leads from the fan to the ground wire splice. Splice the wires on the output side of the remote to the leads for the fan, using the instructions that came with the remote.

Finish mounting the fan and turn the power back on at the breaker.

Note: To avoid damaging the fan's motor or the remote receiver, you should only control the fan with the remote. Regard the wall switch as a service disconnect. The instructions for your fan and its remote should say this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: