Ceiling Fan Removal

Old 05-31-13, 08:32 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Removal

I have an older ceiling fan installed in my living room. I am trying to detach it so that I can wire in a wall switch receiver. This seems like it would be an easy task but I have no idea how to detach this model. I can't seem to figure out how to remove or lower the trim piece that is covering the pendant. See picture.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-13, 08:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The whole fan has to come down. There should be two or four screws just below the ceiling that come out.

Old 05-31-13, 09:03 AM
A
There don't appear to be any screws just below the ceiling, that is what is so confusing about it. The only visible screws are on the housing of the motor (the larger decorated brass portion)

Old 05-31-13, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The only visible screws are on the housing of the motor (the larger decorated brass portion)
Well, you don't want to take those out.

Wow, no canopy. Hm.

If there are no screws in the upper housing, I would try turning and/or lifting the upper half. This thing had to get installed somehow.

Do you know the make and model of the fan? Are there any stickers on it, or any other indicators?

Old 05-31-13, 10:54 AM
I don't see one but sometimes there is a plastic ring covering the screws that just slides down.

Old 05-31-13, 01:13 PM
A
There doesn't appear to be a plastic ring covering anything.

I took a picture of the only tag I could find on the unit and tried googling to find a solution but came up with nothing. Maybe you guys have better luck?

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-13, 02:17 PM
I didn't have a chance to look but try here: NuTone Sea Island PFM Series Instruction Booklet

Old 05-31-13, 02:35 PM
A
That manual seems to indicate that there are cotter pins holding up the fan, but I can't visibly see any of those either.

I did also find this parts list for the fan:
Nutone Authorized Parts And Service Center Nutone Replacement Parts

I'm not sure if that will help me at all.

Old 05-31-13, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking Sawzall.

Old 06-01-13, 01:43 PM
Have you tried contacting the nice folks who posted that parts list?

COASTAL TECH SUPPLY
Phone: 925 849-4105
eMail: [email protected]

That is clearly supposed to be the parts list for the fan you have. It's also the only online resource I could find.

Meanwhile, there has to be a way to open that covered canopy above the motor. Or is the upper part a ring rather than a cap? I hope your wall switch receiver is small.

Old 06-03-13, 11:59 AM
That is a Nutone Verandah Deluxe, not a Sea Island. That install was done very strangely and you are right to be stumped. No, there are no hidden bits or tricks. It's a solid metal canopy.

What is that different gray stuff around the fan? It's going to have to be removed.

It's typical to run into these situations where a fan was attempted to be "flush-mounted" when it was not designed to be.

Old 06-03-13, 12:30 PM
I think Nick is correct. I didn't see a single example of that fan being close mounted when I did a search. Do you have an accessible attic above. Based on Nick,s idea they may have put the mounting in the attic and ran the down rod through the ceiling.

Old 06-03-13, 12:53 PM
N
From the picture it appears that this model has a screw cover that just needs to undone with a simple turn on the top most collar. I hope this helps.. worst case (if you are not trying to save the fan) you can turn the power off and cut the motor off with the wires and all. Just slowly work your way up to the box. Best of luck on this old fan!

Old 06-03-13, 01:01 PM
worst case (if you are not trying to save the fan) you can...
I think ardvarky is trying to upgrade the control for this fan:
Originally Posted by aardvarky
I am trying to detach it so that I can wire in a wall switch receiver.

Old 06-03-13, 01:45 PM
A
Now that you mention it, it's possible that the fan was mounted from the attic above. However, since then, that attic has been converted into 2 bedrooms and a bathroom so I have no access from above.

As far as the gray stuff around the fan, I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's likely it's either dust or a shadow from the photo flash.

I assume the solution to this is either not to attempt to put in a wall speed control and stick with a standard power switch or replace the fan all together.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 06-03-13, 01:52 PM
Please do try the twist idea of Nicktools561 first but I'm skeptical because there is no room to drop the canopy and if it was held only with a twist it would be too easy for the fan torque to unseat it.

Old 06-03-13, 01:56 PM
I looked again and noticed that the gray was a shadow on the ceiling of the motor from a light on the floor... sorry.

I would cut into the ceiling close to the motor and investigate it. You could always easily cover up the damage with a ceiling medallion afterwards. (cut it in half) The visible trim in the room looks agreeable to that.

Shop Portfolio 16" White Ceiling Medallion at Lowes.com

Ray, the OP is welcome to try, but they will find that the canopy is just sitting on top of the motor, attached to nothing. The canopy is one solid piece of metal and accepts two screws from the BOTTOM. Their only options are either to leave the fan alone or start tearing out the ceiling to unmount and then re-install the fan the way it was designed.

See here:

Last edited by Nick D.; 06-03-13 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 02:45 PM
Ray, the OP is welcome to try, but they will find that the canopy is just sitting on top of the motor, attached to nothing.
And I wrote:
I'm skeptical because there is no room to drop the canopy and if it was held only with a twist it would be too easy for the fan torque to unseat it.

Old 06-03-13, 03:10 PM
I assume the solution to this is either not to attempt to put in a wall speed control and stick with a standard power switch or replace the fan all together.
How is the fan controlled now? Is it only controllable by its pull chain?

Any existing wall control device can be replaced with a fan motor controller without dismounting the fan.

Old 06-04-13, 08:47 AM
A
There is a switch for the power in the wall and the speeds are controlled by the pull chain. I was under the impression that wall mounted motor controllers needed to have a receiver installed in the fan.

I was looking specifically at this controller:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

Old 06-04-13, 01:42 PM
There is a switch for the power in the wall and the speeds are controlled by the pull chain. I was under the impression that wall mounted motor controllers needed to have a receiver installed in the fan.

I was looking specifically at this controller:
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx
That fan control may require a remote receiver mounted between the house wiring and the fan wiring. If so, that's because it's a Lutron Maestro and can be used with other Lutron fan controls to control the fan from more than one location.

Most wall mount fan motor controls do not require a receiver. Here are three examples from Hunter:

Original® Multiple Fan Speed Control, Model: 22394

All-Fan 4 Speed Fan Control, Model: 27181

All-Fan 3 Speed Dial Fan Control, Model: 27180

These controls just replace the existing wall switch. One of them mounts in a 2-gang box but the other two fit in single-gang boxes.

For the best result, get the fan running on its highest speed before killing the power at the breaker and replacing the switch. From then on, you leave the pull-chain setting on High and only control the fan with the wall-mounted control.

Old 06-05-13, 12:42 AM
One thing you could actually do is wait or look for a NOS NuTone wall control to show up. I have one that I would sell you, except it's for a 36" model ceiling fan, incompatible.

These old wall controls contain a duplicate of the speed coil in the fan, so no remote unit OR extra wiring is needed.

Old 06-05-13, 07:55 AM
R
I am a big fan of those Lutron switches -- it allows preset speeds, and more speeds than just a standard 3 position switch. And they do require a unit to be installed inside the canopy. Up by the ceiling, there is about a one inch trim ring. Sometimes those just turn to unhook from little studs. Grab it, see if it is flexible, they're usually kind of cheap trim material. And try to twist it off.