I need suggestion / advice on LED-based lighting solution for my basement.

Old 06-01-13, 10:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I need suggestion / advice on LED-based lighting solution for my basement.

I am about to start work on our basement, which has been totally demo'ed. Everything has been removed, except for pipes and BX'es. All you saee is foundation and beams, so full access is not a problem. The full area is about 40 feet x 14 feet, including a bathroom, closets, machine room, etc.

Since it's a pretty dark basement, I will need to have the light on when I am there. Having heard how much LEDs technology and prices have improved over the past couple of years, I would like to use this technology. I am also aware that using LED technology helps to save on eletrical bills.

I am interested in using 4 inch rims and do not want to have any transformers in the housing (don't want anything buzzing down the road). There is so much stuff that is being sold at Home Depot & Lowes, but I have no idea what I should be looking for. Which brands are better, which have bad reputation, replaement costs, etc... I am of course open to other places to shop for this. My main concern is to do it once, and to do it right!

Any and all help / suggestions ares appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-13, 11:59 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Can't speak to reputations of one company vs another. The key, IMO, with LED is to make sure you research the "warmth" of the light. If you have ever had a LED flashlight, you know what I mean. The light is almost a eerie Friday the 13th kind of bright white with a hint of blue. Makes your skin look like dracula, all pale. Look for LED's that have mastered the art of "Warm" light.

Old 06-01-13, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you want a light source - any light source - that will let you see people and things in their "natural" tones, compare the CRI (Color Rendering Index) values. The higher the number the better. 100 is daylight.

Old 06-02-13, 10:11 AM
M
Thank you for the insightful information from all. Certainly enough to get me started.

One additional question: Using a 4 inch cans & trim, what should I counting as the "lit-up area" ? I remember that when I was using 3 inch GU10 50W, I was told count on 36 square inches of light covereage. Does 48" makes sense for 4 inch trims?

Thanks again! And keep the suggestions coming!

Old 06-02-13, 07:53 PM
Using a 4 inch cans & trim, what should I counting as the "lit-up area" ? I remember that when I was using 3 inch GU10 50W, I was told count on 36 square inches of light covereage. Does 48" makes sense for 4 inch trims?
The light coverage from a recessed fixture depends on the fixture and its trim, the light bulb, the distance between the face of the fixture and the face of the light bulb (which may be adjustable), the ceiling height, and the distance above the floor where you want unlighted areas to disappear. It isn't directly correlated to the diameter of the fixture housing.

Every recessed fixture should have a spec sheet that includes a lighting spread diagram. Choose your criteria, then use those to determine how each fixture might help you meet those.

Old 06-04-13, 04:43 PM
M
Question I am going with Cooper Lighting Halo RL560's

After your help and some research, I have decided to go with Cooper Lighting RL560 "Halo". They are sold in both Home Depot and Lowes:

Halo 6 in. White LED Recessed Lighting Trim-RL560WH-R_ONLINE at The Home Depot

After taking 3 samples and temporary hooking them up, I like the 3000K light (83 CRI) that I am getting in my basement. It's also rated for damp or wet usage.

Before I go and buy about 25 of these, does anyone know or are aware of anything negative about this model?

Last, but not least: My future basement's open area is going to be 14 feet x 19 feet. The ceiling hight is just under 7 feet. With this in mind, I figured I will need to have 3 rows of 5 RL560's (spaced 4 feet apart) / divided into 2 zones. I will not be using dimmers.

Does it make sense?

Old 06-04-13, 09:17 PM
I figured I will need to have 3 rows of 5 RL560's (spaced 4 feet apart) / divided into 2 zones. I will not be using dimmers.

Does it make sense?
4 feet sounds pretty tight. What does the coverage diagram show and what coverage are you shooting for?

The part that doesn't make a lot of sense, to me, is paying $50 each for light bulbs.

Old 06-05-13, 07:18 AM
M
As I said, this is a basement room, which has 2 very small windows (17 x 32 inches), meaning hardly any natural light coming in. So I want to make sure that we have enough light, as this area will double as an office / guest room. I am just afraid that if I have the lighs 5.5 feet apart, I can only get 3 rows x 4. Which may be not enough.

As far as the price at $50, I kind of like how they look, but someone has alerted me that there is something like this one being sold at Home Depot made by Lithonia for $28

Lithonia Lighting 6 in. Recessed White LED Baffle Downlight-6BPMW M4 at The Home Depot

All comments are still much appreciated!