Permanent removal of recessed lighting

Old 06-02-13, 12:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Permanent removal of recessed lighting

Hello!

We are in the process if remodeling our master bathroom and I would like to permanently remove two recessed lights. One has already been disconnected as it was hooked up to our fan and both were on the same switch. For that one, I'm assuming that all I need to do is just remove the fixture.

The second recessed light is still connected to a switch, however. My contractor said he could remove the fixture and place a cap over the box in the ceiling, and leave the light switch that is associated with this light. I don't care if the switch stays or goes (there are 4 switches on the wall total), but I really do not want to just cap the box. I'd rather remove it completely and patch the ceiling. How can I remove it permanently?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 01:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Cables can be abandoned in place by disconnecting on both end and rendering them unusable. This is usually done by cutting as short as possible and shoving them out of the box into a wall or ceiling space. Of course if the box is removed on both ends of the cable the wall can simply be patched.

Old 06-04-13, 06:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply! Is there anything special that I need to do with the white wire? My understanding is that even once I cut it from the wall switch, it'll remain hot. Should I just place a cap on it, or is there a way to permanently disconnect it so that it's no longer hot?

Thanks again!

Old 06-04-13, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 42 Posts
How you abandon the cable depends on how the fixtures and switch are wired.

Is there an attic above the bedroom? This may help you see how the cables are run.

Old 06-04-13, 07:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My understanding is that even once I cut it from the wall switch, it'll remain hot.
Which is why I recommended:
Cables can be abandoned in place by disconnecting on both end
If both ends are disconnected it can't have power. Of course always best to double check with a multimeter.

Old 06-04-13, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is there anything special that I need to do with the white wire? My understanding is that even once I cut it from the wall switch, it'll remain hot.
You have a white wire connected to a switch? Why? What is the function of this wire?

Is the switch a 3-way switch?

Old 06-04-13, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 42 Posts
I think the OP might be saying wire and mean cable.