Wrong light bulb base blew other lights in fixture. HELP!

Old 06-02-13, 06:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wrong light bulb base blew other lights in fixture. HELP!

I am the butt of the joke "how many people does it take to change a light bulb." And I guess I deserve it...

In a hurry to beat the closing time at Home Depot tonight, I bought 40 watt bulbs for one of the three that had burned out in my kitchen light (takes at total of three 40 watt bulbs).

What I didn't notice is that the base of the new ones I bought was smaller than what the fixture called for. So, as I was trying to screw the new one in (obviously it wouldn't stay because it was too small), the other two that had been working just died. No circuit was tripped, nor did the light bulbs pop or break.

I tried new ones in all of them (can you believe I actually had the right ones in my cabinet but forgot?!?!) and nothing is working. I even reset the circuit breaker just in case.

NOTHING!

Have I really created a mess here? And most importantly, is this fixture in any danger of creating an unsafe situation? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 269 Votes on 251 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's an unusual problem. Normally if you tried to use a smaller than normal bulb it could possibly short the socket and pop the breaker. You may have to check the wiring between the junction box and the fixture. You're going to need to locate where the power is lost.

Just as a thought......sometimes a breaker handle won't actually move even though it had tripped. If you know what breaker it should be on......try turning it all the way off and then back on.

Old 06-02-13, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

What I didn't notice is that the base of the new ones I bought was smaller than what the fixture called for. So, as I was trying to screw the new one in (obviously it wouldn't stay because it was too small), the other two that had been working just died.
Oops!

No circuit was tripped, nor did the light bulbs pop or break.
Are you sure? Did you identify the circuit breaker that protects the supply for this fixture, turn it all the way OFF, and then turn it back ON?

I tried new ones in all of them (can you believe I actually had the right ones in my cabinet but forgot?!?!) and nothing is working. I even reset the circuit breaker just in case.

NOTHING!
Have you checked the light bulbs you found in your cabinet by replacing a working light bulb somewhere else?

If you have, and you know they're good, then you will have to kill the power to the light fixture, take it loose from the ceiling, and check the wire connections above it.

Have I really created a mess here? And most importantly, is this fixture in any danger of creating an unsafe situation?
Probably not and probably not.

[SUP]PJ's typing a bit faster than I am tonight.[/SUP]

Old 06-02-13, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks to you both!

Thank you so very much to the both of you for your prompt and thorough responses!

Yes, I have since tried every breaker in the house, to no avail. Nothing is working on that &*^%$# light fixture!

I'll call the electrician tomorrow. What a bonehead I am!

Old 06-02-13, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What a bonehead I am!
I don't see how what you did could have caused the problem. It is probably a loose wire and coincidence. Let us know what the electrician says.

One thought: You did try bypassing the switch didn't you?

Old 06-02-13, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'll call the electrician tomorrow.
If that will make you comfortable then that's what you should do. Will you tell us the outcome?

What a bonehead I am!
Are you enjoying that assessment? Or would you rather drop the fixture and see if you can repair it yourself?