Wall Switch to Ceiling Fan Not Working

Old 06-05-13, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall Switch to Ceiling Fan Not Working

A while ago, I had decided to replace a standard light fixture in a bedroom with a ceiling fan. The installation went off successfully, but when I turned the power on and tried to flip the wall switch, the light kit remained on, so I went back and checked the wiring and everything seemed to look good. Turn the power back on, and the same problem occurred. I can turn the light kit on/off with the pull switch, and I can adjust the fan speed with the pull chain, but the operation is in no way affected by the wall switch. In the ceiling, I have one black wire and one white wire; I had matching black and white wires in the fan kit, in addition to a green grounding wire. I don't know what's behind the wall at the switch, but I am guessing it is white and black. There is only one switch on the wall, and it only controls the fan (or rather, the single fixture that the fan replaced). Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong in my installation?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 11:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
We need to know the wiring at the switch.You can't guess. One thing sounds wrong there should be a blue wire from the fan unless it has a built in remote.

Old 06-05-13, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

If you only have one 2-conductor, 3-wire cable in the ceiling box, and the switch controlled the light fixture you replaced, then there appears to be something wrong at the switch. That may be that you're not seeing the ceiling of a cable that goes to the switch.

Tell us all the wires and cables you see in the ceiling, all the wires and cables you see at the switch, and how each wire is connected.

If your fan is mounted to a fan-rated box, and if you had to replace the box that was there before, did you by any chance leave a second cable out of the new box?