Bathroom lighting question

Old 06-06-13, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom lighting question

The other day i turned on my light switch in the bathroom and the light flickered and now the switches on the double gang box won't turn on anything. There was still power to it and I checked all the connections to it and they weren't loose. I decided to replace both switches today and did that. There is a singe switch for the vanity lights and a 3 light switch next to it for the bath fan/light. I hooked them up exactly the same way and nothing will come on again and it's not showing power to it now. Does anyone have any suggestions? I checked the breaker as well and that is not it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-13, 05:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have a GFCI outlet in that bathroom? Have you pushed the reset button on it? If it's not in that bathroom, check your other bathroom for the GFCI (yes I know that is not up to code standard, but who knows how it's wired?) And did you actually flip the breaker or just took a look at it?? A breaker can trip without it looking like it tripped.

And while you're at the breaker box, check your Arc fault breakers if you have them. The overhead lights for the bathroom might be branched off one of the bedrooms -- which if it is a modern setup would have Arc fault breakers.

Old 06-06-13, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You may have an open neutral. Pull the switches out and look for a group of white wires. Make sure the connection is good and tight.

Old 06-06-13, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
Replacing the switches and moving the wires may have loosened a connection in the switch box.