bathroom light fixture

Old 06-08-13, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom light fixture

Hi. I recently installed a new light fixture in my basement bathroom with three 35 watt halogen bulbs. Also, the new fixture has a black and white wire from each bulb and the whites tie together and the blacks together. The old fixture was just a single bulb. there are three sets of black and white wires coming out of the wall into the old fixture box, one set is from the switch. All three black wires were connected with a mourette and the three white wires were all connected to the back of the light. Anyways, when I connected the new fixture i connected white wires all together and black all together and ground to back of electrical box. My problem is, when I turn the breaker back on the lights are on but the switch is in the off position still. When I flip the switch, the breaker pops. Thank you, hope you can help me figure out what I have to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-13, 08:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to have to unwire it and figure out which wires are the incoming hot and nutral and which one goes to the switch loop.
wiring a light switch - Bing Images
Anytime you change a light fixture you need to mark the wires or as you remove a wire nut keep that set of wires togeter with the wire nut or tape.
Right now you have a dead short.

Old 06-08-13, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing you opened ALL the connections.

You've got three cables in that box. Three 2 wire cables.
One is feed in
One is feed out
One is the switch leg.

You will have to open all your joints again. You'll then need to use a voltmeter to identify the incoming line cable.

After doing that temporarily connect one of the other cables to the one you have identified as the hot one. Make sure for now to keep the switch off. See if your downstream outlets are working normally. If not remove that cable and try the other one.

Once you've determined the line in and out cables......connect them white to white and black to black. Take your last cable which is the switch lead and using a marker (like red or blue) color the white wire. Now connect that newly colored wire to your black connection. The black will go to the black of the light and white from the light goes to the double white connection.

Old 06-09-13, 12:18 PM
thanks for the help people. got the light working properly.

Old 06-10-13, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.