Honeywell 7 day Timer Switch

Old 06-11-13, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell 7 day Timer Switch

I am a novice electrician, but installed a new Honeywell 7 day timer switch to control two garage lights outside. The switch, while it gets power, will not turn the lights on or off. I have tried every possible wire combination and am at my wits end. I have a black, white, and ground wire in the wall box while the timer has a black, blue, and white wire. When I put the old switch back on, it does work and control the lights. Please, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I have a black, white, and ground wire in the wall box
If you only have a single cable entering your wall box, with those three wires in it, then you existing switch is wired as a switch loop. The circuit from the panel goes to one of the lights. From there, the ungrounded current (the power on the "hot" wire) is sent to the switch on one of the two insulated conductors. It is sent back on the other insulated wire ans connected to the "hot feed" for the lights. The neutral is left in the ceiling and connected directly to the lights.

while the timer has a black, blue, and white wire.
The white wire on the timer you bought must be connected to neutral for it to work. You can exchange that timer for one that doesn't need a neutral, or you can replace the cable between the first light and the switch with 3-conductor cable, so that you can bring the neutral to the switch.

Old 06-12-13, 06:21 AM
Thank you for this information. Do you have any recommendations for a timer that would work for wiring like this? Thanks

Old 06-12-13, 06:25 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just be sure it has only two wires (not including any ground). Note this type of timer may not work with CFL bulbs.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-12-13 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 06-12-13, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
I don't have time to mess around with which timer works with which lamp and who needs a neutral so I've been using the Intermatic ST01 line of timers. They work with all types of lamps and don't require a neutral. ST01A and C.

Amazon: Intermatic ST01C White Self Adjusting Wall Switch Timer

Old 06-13-13, 09:51 AM
Are there any timers that control CFL bulbs that don't require a battery backup? That's what I liked about the Honeywell timer.

Old 06-13-13, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Yes....but they need a neutral wire to run the clock section. Since you don't have a neutral.... the battery does the job.