Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

replace battery operated ST01 outside timer with a Defiant outside motion sensor

replace battery operated ST01 outside timer with a Defiant outside motion sensor

Old 06-04-13, 06:10 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I use an Intermatic battery operated ST01 to turn on 8 outside lights from dusk to 11pm even though I am only one who can see lights when they turn on if I look out back windows.
I recently purchased a replacement Defiant sensor for a two light flood motion detector.
Would it be possible to replace battery operated ST01 secured inside an outside weather proof box with a Home Depot Defiant motion security sensor by connecting green, red, white and black wires to which wires inside box and not use outside weather proof box? Just sensor secured to a plate cover I also purchased to fit on box cover.
Height from ground to outside box is about 2 feet and it is out of way and 90 degrees to path one would walk in back yard space.
When motion is detected Defiant motion sensor (no flood lamps) would activate a mix of eight 15 watt or less incandescent/florescent bulbs.
Thanks

Old 06-04-13, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
This is really more of a lighting question than a security system question. As an electrician, without seeing the actual location, the answer is a qualified "maybe".

Typically, those add-on motion switches are intended to wire in downstream of a regular light switch.

Old 06-04-13, 02:31 PM
E
OK. I'll move it to lighting.

Old 06-04-13, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I read your original post three times and I can't quite follow what you are trying to do. It sounds like you want to put a motion sensor outside near your path with no weather proof box.

Old 06-05-13, 06:31 AM
E
A Defiant replacement Motion sensor 745 407 threads into a two flood light outside fixture that had a bad or defective motion sensor.
I just want to thread same Defiant replacement motion sensor into an outside box cover having a threaded opening I also purchased from Costco. It is rectangular cluster cover 5189-1 from Bell Outdoor.
There are wires in junction box and for certain some must be hot wires to run sensor and others to make a connection to turn on lights.
As it is two wires that run into battery operated ST01 when touched, I've done it, together do turn on lights and off when untouched.
I called Defiant and they gave me some story saying their sensor has to be higher than 2 feet and its best if sensor was pointed down rather than more level to prevent too much outside exposure or false sensing. As if it rains or snows straight down or having lights go on at night in error for a few minutes is going to matter a whole lot.
How do I figure out which 3 wires go to Sensor from junction box?

Old 06-12-13, 05:15 AM
E
It would appear my question about switching out a timer for a motion detector has gone way over heads of anyone at this DIY site.
An electrician doing some other work at my home took 3 minutes to switch out time with motion detector and after 4 nights now at two location switch out works.

Old 06-12-13, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Not over the head, really. There was insufficient information provided to provide a meaningful answer. As demonstrated by the onsite electrician, it's a lot easier to figure out if you can lay eyes on the extant wiring.

Just because you had the switch leg wires present in that switch box did not guarantee that the neutral leg required by your motion was also present.

Your timer switch doesn't require the neutral...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: