Lutron Maestro Fan Control

Old 06-14-13, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lutron Maestro Fan Control

Hi guys,

I am having a bit of trouble understanding the Lutron Maestro fan control system. I currently have two fans on my patio that I would like to control with one switch. Each fan is wired to it's own wall switch in separate rooms, which is pretty annoying. I have been trying to understand the system, since I know you can control up to four fans with one switch. I know that I will need two canopy modules to go inside the fan canopies, but I am not sure what switches I will need. Am I supposed to put one of the main switches (MA-FQ4M) in the spot where I would like to control both fans from and then put a companion switch in the other location (MA-AFQ4) or am I supposed to put in two main switches and somehow link them? Documentation has been hard to find on how the system actually works, so I am hoping someone else knows! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-13, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

No...you're wrong. Documentation is very easy to find but is extremely confusing.

I'm going to look into it further but it looks like you would use 1 wall unit and then a canopy module for each fan.

That makes sense if the fans are connected to a common power wire which yours probably aren't.

Then it says multi location with the MA-FQ4M at primary location and then a MA-AFQ4 at a remote location with an additional canopy module. That would make sense if the unit is wireless but they show wiring between the two wall switches. Now I'm confused.

I'll keep checking.

Old 06-14-13, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I have found a lot of documentation, but you're right in that it's really confusing!

Old 06-14-13, 06:48 PM
You say you have two fans controlled by two different switches in two different rooms. Are you wanting to keep both switch locations active to control both fans at the same time -- so you would need 3 way switching. Or are you wanting to eliminate one of the switches and control both fans with one switch? Then the fans would need to be connected together -- which they probably are not now (that's how they're operated by two different switches). And are there lights you want to control on the fans??? And I did notice a phone number to call them and ask them. I've had Maestro switches in my last 3 homes, I like them. 1.888.LUTRON1 (588.7661).
But I'm thinking you're going to have to run some wiring to connect the two fans together

Last edited by Re-mdlr; 06-14-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 09:28 PM
The fans are controlled completely independently by the two switches, one switch for each fan. I'm not certain if there is wiring connecting the two. I'll give Lutron a call if nobody has experience with a situation like this.

Old 06-14-13, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
Ok..... One control can operate four ceiling fans. Each fan needs its own canopy control and the wiring must go from the one switch to the first fan.....then the second....and so on.

Therefore you would need to get a two wire cable with ground between the fans.

Old 06-15-13, 07:55 AM
That make sense. I was confused on how to connect the two fans together. Should I just put a companion control in the switch that I don't want to use anymore, if I wire the two fans to one switch?

Old 06-15-13, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
No....either leave any dummy switch there or put a blank plate on it.

Old 06-15-13, 03:37 PM
Thanks again for your help. Now I understand how this system works!