2 gang 2 3 way switch wiring

Old 06-19-13, 10:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 gang 2 3 way switch wiring

Hey guys this is my first post and have been lurking for about a month searching and reading/learning about all sorts of issues. I just got my first house and have ripped out a lot of the sheet rock. My very first question is how do i wire a 2 gang box with two 3 way switches in it.

i have installed the 8 high hats(recessed lighting) in the kitchen and would like to put the 3 lights over the island on one switch and the rest of kitchen on another.

I have found plenty of switch-switch-light diagrams that seem straight forward, and seem easier to troubleshoot in the future.

so my question is.. if i have my kitchen lights in a 2 gang box together how do i wire it?

do i just split the initial 14-2 to the 2 switches? and carry on wiring the 3 ways like normal ?

thanks! and hope i was specific enough for my first question.

Old 06-19-13, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 125 Posts
You can pigtail the incoming power to power both switches.

Wire this a two switch - switch - lights that just happen to start at the same box.

Old 06-19-13, 10:31 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
how do i wire a 2 gang box with two 3 way switches in it.

if i have my kitchen lights in a 2 gang box together how do i wire it?

do i just split the initial 14-2 to the 2 switches? and carry on wiring the 3 ways like normal ?
Welcome to the forums!

First some questions, of course :

Where are the other two 3-way switches? By "the initial 14-2" do you mean "the 14-2/G cable feeding power from the 15 amp breaker in the panel?"

If so, how are you planning to connect the lights to the switches - with one 14-3/G cable that will divide at the first fixture or with two 14-2/G cables? From which box?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: