Ceiling Fan Wiring to a Switch That Controlled An Outlet

Old 06-22-13, 08:23 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Wiring to a Switch That Controlled An Outlet

Trying to install a ceiling fan with light to a switch that currently controls half of an outlet. I have ran 14-3 wiring from ceiling location down to wall switch. In ceiling, I have fan black connected to black, fan blue connected to red, fan green connected to ground and fan white connected to white.

When I opened wall switch that controlled outlet, there is only a black, white and a ground. Both black and the white went into switch and back to outlet. I removed wires from switch and replaced switch with a new 2 switch on single pole. I spliced the original black and white together so that outlet is constantly hot and pigtailed to the lead(black screw) on the bottom switch. I added black from fan on other side(copper screw). I then added red from fan to top copper.

The outlet is now constantly hot but fan is not working. Also, there is no where for white from fan to go in switch box.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-22-13, 08:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
When I opened wall switch that controlled outlet, there is only a black, white and a ground.
That is a switch loop. The white is not a neutral. Without a neutral you can't power the fan. You need to rewire the receptacle. Please ell us the wiring at the receptacle.

Old 06-22-13, 12:15 PM
K
In the receptacle I see, 2 blacks connected to right side of outlet, 2 whites connected to left side of outlet. There are 2 blacks and a white spliced together with a pigtail going to outlet. There is 1 black going directly to outlet from house. There are 2 whites going directly to outlet from house. Looks to a total of 3 romex cables from house going into receptacle.

Old 06-22-13, 01:01 PM
Assumes you no longer want the receptacles on a switch.
At the receptacle:
  • Disconnect all the wires.
  • If the tab between the screws on the brass side has been removed replace the receptacle with one that has its tab intact.
  • Connect all whites to a pigtail and connect pigtail to one of the silver screws.
  • Connect all blacks to a pigtail and connect pigtail to one of the brass screws.
At the switch (assumes two switches):
  • Connect the two whites to each other.
  • Connect the black from the receptacle to two pigtails.
  • Connect one pigtail to each switch.
  • Connect the black from the fan to one switch.
  • Connect the red from the fan to the other switch.
If you still want any receptacles on a switch or only want to use a single switch for the fan post back for more instructions.

To use two switches in a single gang box you may use a duplex switch instead of two separate switches. In that case instead of two pigtails you would connect the black from the receptacle to the tab side of the duplex switch and the black and red from the fan to the two screws on the other side.

Old 06-22-13, 01:12 PM
K
Thank You. I will give this a try and let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-22-13, 02:11 PM
K
WOW!!! You just made my week. It worked. Both fan and light is working on separate switches. On to bedroom #2.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-22-13, 02:31 PM
But you did all the work. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Old 06-22-13, 03:32 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Both fan and light is working on separate switches. On to bedroom #2.
Congratulations! I hope you installed a fan motor control rather than a simple on/off switch or a dimmer, for that control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: