Hunter23855A (2003) re-wiring help

Old 07-03-13, 06:57 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hunter23855A (2003) re-wiring help

Hello everyone. I have a Hunter "original" fan that I am working on for someone. They pulled the chain out of the rotary switch and attempted to fix it themselves by replacing the 3 speed rotary switch mechanism and failed at this process. They brought the fan to me with a new 3 speed (L, 1, 2, 3) switch but it was not installed AND they could not remember how the wires were connected. So I contacted Hunter in hopes of getting some info on rewiring the switch but they could not tell me anything about the wiring on this particular model due to "no service documents" though the tech DID try to help me the best she could.

So I now have a fan with many lose wires and not a lot of info on where they go! This model has 2 caps in the fan housing one with 3 wires and one with 2 wires. I took some pictures in hopes that someone may have been in this situation before. If you can offer any insight please feel free; I could use the help before I spend time reverse engineering this thing!

Just in case the colors don't show up:

White (one goes to reverser switch and other passes through fan for neutral)
orange
Brown
Black (passes through fan for Line voltage)
Black/white (passes through fan for....lights?)
Salmon (off pink?)
Purple
Pink (actual pink)

Attached Images     
Old 07-03-13, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The first thing you always do is write down which wire goes where

Are you sure they got the right switch ?

I can start you off:

Violet = common from caps
Beige ? = single wire on cap - would be high speed and go to 1
Orange = 2 or 3
Brown = 2 or 3
can't tell which is 2 or 3.....you'll have to try them

A little more help can be found here.

Old 07-04-13, 09:04 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
They brought the fan to me with a new 3 speed (L, 1, 2, 3) switch but it was not installed AND they could not remember how the wires were connected.
The 3-speed pull-chain switch for a fan should be Off. Low, Medium, High. It should have four wires - In, High, Medium and Low.

To determine the function of the wires on the switch, test each of the six possible 2-wire combinations for continuity. If you find continuity on any pair, click the switch once and test again. Keep going until you find the switch position where there's not continuity on any of the pairs. Then click it one more time, find the pair that has continuity, and tag those two wires. One will be the feed In and the other will be High.

Click the switch again and test the pairs. One of the two wires in the pair that has continuity in this test will be one of the two wires you tagged. That is the Feed In wire. The other wire in this pair is the High speed Feed Out wire. Tag and mark each of those. Click the switch again and see which of the other two wires has continuity with the Feed In wire, That is the Middle speed Feed Out wire. Mark it, and mark the last wire as Low.

Connect the Feed In wire on the switch to the Black Line Voltage wire. Connect the other three wires as PJ suggested.

Black/white (passes through fan for....lights?)
Yes. That is the Hunter coding convention.

I contacted Hunter in hopes of getting some info on rewiring the switch but they could not tell me anything about the wiring on this particular model due to "no service documents" though the tech DID try to help me the best she could.
That's puzzling as well as frustrating. Here are the Owner's Manual and the Parts Guide for the 23855A.

I notice that the Hunter 23855A is an oil-lubricated fan, and that you appear to have it lying on its side on your bench. If so, you will need to clean all of the lubricating oil off the motor parts before attempting to run the fan.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 07-04-13 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 07:53 AM
S
Thanks everyone I will try this ASAP and post my findings here.

Old 07-15-13, 09:46 AM
S
Well so far no go. I think I got the wiring somewhat close but it isn't running right yet. I have a variac that allows me to run from 0vac to 140vac and I am using it to gently increase voltage just in case I have wires going where wires do not go. I am also monitoring current

I am applying voltage to purple (cap common) and newtural to white. With this setup (other wires floating) the fan can be push started however it is obvious that it is running on one coil only. I tried applying VAC (line) to the grey, brown, and ornge wires (seperatly) but this changed nothing I also tried tying them to neutral as well with no change.

Some asumtions I have made so far are:

Purple is common to both caps and is to get VAC (120)....however it needs to be switched somehow (3 speed switch) so that it does not have power going to it constantly.

White is neutral.

The 3 remaning thinner wires (grey, orange, brown) are speeds 1, 2, 3.

What I don't know....:

how to switch purple so that it has no power when off but then gets power for speeds 1,2, and 3 rather than only one speed.

why applying VAC or tying to neutral to the other wires has no effect on fan.

and yes, I cleaned the oil off of the motor and will refill it when done!

Old 07-15-13, 05:33 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're taking power through the switch. Are you? Also, do you have the fan hanging while you'r working with it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: