Wiring a ceiling fan with no current power

Old 07-08-13, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a ceiling fan with no current power

I'm looking to wire a ceiling fan light combo in my living room. I currently have no fixture at this location to wire into. I was looking to wire it to a switched outlet. I have three light switches that control this outlet. First switch has black, red, white wires. Second switch has white, white, red, red. And the third switch (closest to the outlet) has black, red, white. The outlet itself has black and white only(and ground). Would it be possible because this outlet has a double connection on each side to wire off of the outlet in the two additional spots? The outlet is running 115v. I was reading about making a plug in connection from the fan to the outlet but I don't really see the difference between that and a direct wire at the outlet. Its fine that the ceiling fan is switched due to it having separate on/offs on the fan itself. I'm also not looking to switch the outlet to a constant on outlet leaving it a switched outlet is preferred. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-13, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I was reading about making a plug in connection from the fan to the outlet but I don't really see the difference between that and a direct wire at the outlet.
That would be a code violation. It is contrary to the manufacturers intention that it be hardwired. Given your switch set up your best solution is to run a new cable to the receptacle. Do you have an unfinished space above the room? Or if you just can't run new cable in the ceiling and wall you can use surface raceway (AKA Wiremold) between the receptacle and the fan.

Old 07-10-13, 11:50 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Off the top of my head, it sounds like it could be against code. However, I'll defer to someone else on that.

Edit: Someone beat me too it.