New construction & Replacement of Pendant lights in Kitchen & Code

Old 07-09-13, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New construction & Replacement of Pendant lights in Kitchen & Code

New construction walk through and the builders placed the kitchen pendant lights completely wonky. No problem they explained and simply moved them to my satisfaction and repaired a few holes left in the ceiling sheet rock.

Could there be a problem with this technique causing intermittent tripping of the electrical box? I was surprised the entire ceiling wasn't taken down. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-13, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There was not enough information in your post to know. What else is on the breaker besides the lights? What is the wattage of the lights?

Old 07-09-13, 07:51 PM
Ray2047 - not sure how to tell what's on the breaker besides the 3 pendant lights with 40w bulbs.

I apologize that I am unclear w description of my question. So, I'll reword it.

What would be the proper way to follow code in order to move and reposition pendant lights in a kitchen ceiling?

thanks!

Old 07-09-13, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Moving the lights shouldn't present a problem and should definitely not cause the breaker to trip. If they had access to ceiling above the lights..... the work is easy. If they had to fish the wire across the ceiling then they most likely would have had to replace some of the wire as a splice cannot be buried in an in-accessible location.

They couldn't just splice the wire in an existing box and then spackle over the box if it had any wiring in it. They can spackle over an empty box however.

Old 07-09-13, 08:24 PM
Thanks PJMax, your info is helpful. Hopefully the replacement box electricians changed out today will help with the frequent tripping of breaker. They said the city is requiring a new type of box for new construction like what I had, but are very sensitive so replaced it back to 'old' model.

Old 07-09-13, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
They said the city is requiring a new type of box for new construction
Boxes are just that, a box, nothing more. They can not affect the circuit. Perhaps you meant breaker and they replaced an AFCI breaker with a regular breaker. If that is what happened I'd be justa bit worried. Newer AFCIs should not trip unless there is a problem. May not be a problem but they should have checked all connections, and removed and replaced all wire nuts and checked all screws for tightness. Arcing in wire nuts or at screws could cause an AFCI breaker to trip. The switch or switches should have the wires around the screws not inserted into the holes in the back of the switch. While it is an approved method of connection it is more prone to arcing and that could trip an AFCI breaker.

Old 07-09-13, 11:46 PM
Thanks, Ray for the information. Definitely going to keep my eye on the newly installed breaker and pay attention to exactly what might be causing the problem. Electricians are expensive and doubt if he came even close to solving the problem. Thanks again.