Fluorescent fixture that nestles between ceiling joists on 16" centers?

Old 07-15-13, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent fixture that nestles between ceiling joists on 16" centers?

Hey all,

The lighting in my shop sucks. It's got ten 8' dual-bulb fixtures for 20 8' T12 bulbs spread among three switches on one circuit. Underhood lighting is terrible, and while it may be a color-temperature issue, I'm debating retrofitting or replacing fixtures instead of experimenting with new T12 bulbs. Retrofitting doesn't appeal as much given how much of the fixture has to be changed, which leaves me with replacing.

My shop has a flat roof, 2x12 joists on 16" centers. Current fixtures run laterally across the joists, but my ceiling is low enough that I'd like to use fixtures that fit up between the joists and have reflectors, particularly if there are any that fit well with a sheetrocked ceiling, as I plan to insulate and finish the ceiling at some point in the future.

Any suggestions for fixtures would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-13, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 341 Votes on 319 Posts
They used to make a two tube 48" fixture with a removable glass. It would mount between beams. I can't find any made now but the older ones that I know of weren't lighting powerhouses.

Old 07-16-13, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Go to an electrical supply house, not a home improvement center. They usually have fixtures that can be mounted in drywall with an additional kit, and you can always mount them end-to-end. There are likely to be more choices at 4' than at 8'.

Old 07-17-13, 07:47 PM
In doing some looking on the Internet I've found that some manufacturers make 1' by 4' troffer fixtures that can be mounted like I want. Specifically Lithonia and H.E. Williams.

I've also found that there *are* 8' fluorescent T8 bulbs with single-pin ends.

I'm now speculating about retrofitting my existing admittedly-cheap fixtures, basically ordering a case of bulbs and a bunch of ballasts. I may still reorient my fixtures, buy reflectors, and mount them up closer to being between the joists, haven't decided yet.

What's the difference between an F96T8 and an F96T8HO? From my unknowledgeable reading of their spec sheets the non-HO ballasts look more efficient, but given that the HO ballasts cost a lot more, there must be some difference and I would guess that the differences are in favor of the HO.

If I go with bargain-basement ballasts I can get them for about $16 each in the quantity I need for a retrofit. I can buy a 24 pack of bulbs for about $200. So, for less than $400 I can retrofit to 8' T8, which is about a quarter the cost of replacing all of the fixtures. I don't know how much reflectors will cost, still have to research that.

Replacing 10 2-bulb T12 fixtures with 20 2-bulb T8 1'x4' fixtures is about $1300 for fixtures-sans-bulbs, and a case of 32 bulbs is about $80, so about $1500.

Old 07-17-13, 08:55 PM
Where did you get those prices? Have you been to an electrical supply house yet?

Old 07-17-13, 08:59 PM
Haven't gotten to a supply house yet. Used the Grainger catalog to first ID form factors and part numbers then continued looking elsewhere. Zoro Tools was where I found that particular price on the fixture. Don't remember off-hand where I found the bulbs/case price.

I may get by Graybar later, their catalog isn't very easy to browse online though, and their prices seem to be based in part on the phase of the moon...

Old 07-17-13, 09:20 PM
But Graybar should be cheaper than Grainger by a lot. And have more of what you need.

I would go in with more questions than solutions in hand, if I was looking to save money.

Old 07-18-13, 12:48 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I used to buy a fair amount of supplies from Grainger but in the last several years their prices have shot through the roof.

I have the HO (high output) F96 T12 fixtures in my garage/shop and they put out one heck of a lot of light. Standard F96 T12 bulbs are only 75 watts vs. 110 watts for the HO bulbs. The HO are NOT interchangeable with the standard as they have different ends and require different ballasts. I bought a two-tube fixture and a dozen tubes about a year and a half or two years ago from the blue and red mega-mart homecenter. As I recall the fixture was about $50 and the dozen tubes maybe $40, maybe a bit less. I had checked Grainger and even with my discount the cost at Grainger was about 50% higher.