Replacing ceiling fan switch problems

Old 07-18-13, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan switch problems

I'm updating our switches to adorne square switches and wanted to use the fan switch for the living room. There are two fans. One fan is operated by a 2 gang set one switch operates the fan, one switch operates the light. I replaced these and it works fine. The other fan in the room is in a 2-gang box but one switch works both the light and the fan. The other switch in the set works nothing we can find yet (just bought the house). On the switch that works both the fan and the light there is a red wire, two black wires (I couldn't find a white stripe on one as they are kind of painted white but look all black) and a ground. The red wire and one black were attached to a toggle switch at the on position. The red was pushed into the slot and the black was attached by the screw on the side. The other black was pushed in the slot at the off position. I attached my ground to the new switch and put the red and black in the slots marked hot and the other black in the 1-pole slot. The fan works on the switch but the lights stay on no matter what (I can turn it off at the fan). This is the only combination that the switch works for anything. What am I doing wrong that the switch won't also work the lights? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

The lights on the second switch should be controllable by the pull chain on the fixture. That said, the red and the black that were together should be the two loads - fan and light - and the black that was by itself should be the hot line feed.

Black with a white stripe is used in a fan, not in wiring in the walls.

Tell us all of the wiring in the second box. The second switch may control one or more receptacles, or one half of one or more duplex receptacles.

The on and off position on a wall switch are not related to the wiring. The switch just opens and closes the circuit.

Old 07-20-13, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switched receptacle

The switch may be controlling a wall receptacle. Sometimes a dot is stamped above the switched side outlet.

Old 07-20-13, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Sounds like the switched lead to the light is connected to the constant hot side of the switch. Move the red to the other end of the switch and see if the switch controls the light.