Bypassing fan's remote receiver--2 wall switches

Old 07-23-13, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypassing fan's remote receiver--2 wall switches

I'm about to order a ceiling fan that has a remote for our master bedroom--we can't install a fan with a cord due to a low ceiling. The room has two dedicated light switches near the door that are wired to control a fan and a light--one switch for the fan, and one switch for the light.

We'd really like to be able to use one switch to turn on the light when we enter the room. Since we need the remote to control fan speed, I'd like to wire the light directly to the ceiling (bypassing the remote receiver) and wire the rest of the fan to the remote receiver. This would basically be wiring everything according to the manufacturers instructions, with the exception that the fan's light wire (blue) would go directly to one of the hot wires in the ceiling.

Coming out of the ceiling, we have a 4 wires: red, black, tan, and bare ground.
Will this work? Will one ground wire be enough since the ground wire in the fan connects directly to the ground in the ceiling? The manufacturer's wiring diagram is on page 7 of the pdf here: http://www.minkagroup.net/Admin/Uplo...19-English.pdf

Here's the wiring plan I'm hoping will work:
Ceiling red-->Fan blue (light)
Ceiling black-->receiver black-->fan black (motor)
Ceiling tan-->Receiver white-->fan white (neutral)
Ceiling ground-->Fan ground (this bypasses the receiver in the manufacturers instructions)
Cap off the two blue wire ends--one coming from the fan, one coming from the receiver

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-13, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

It may or may not work. Some factory remotes have to be used for everything and some can be bypassed. You can only try it and see.

The "tan" wire is a discolored white. It's neutral, as you've guessed.

The receiver isn't grounded in the instructions. Tie all grounds together, including connecting to a green bonding screw the fan-rated ceiling box (instruction step 5 under Safety First).

You shouldn't need to cap off the blue wire coming from the fan if you've connected it to the red wire in the ceiling.

Do point all wire nuts up. Ignore the instruction to add electrical tape over the wire nuts.

Old 07-23-13, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
They may have included the instructions to tape the wire nuts because the wire nuts they include do not have the coiled spring found in quality wire nuts. If that is the case trash the wire nuts they include and use real wire nuts.

Old 07-23-13, 05:08 PM
I'm about to order a ceiling fan that has a remote for our master bedroom--we can't install a fan with a cord due to a low ceiling.
Reading back through this post, two things struck me in this sentence.

The first is, what do you mean by a fan with a cord? A pull chain?

The other thing is that the critical dimension is the height of the fan blades above the floor. The 7' that Minks states is an absolute minimum. If you have a low ceiling, will you be able to mount the fan so that it's blades are no lower than 7'?

Originally Posted by ray2047
They may have included the instructions to tape the wire nuts because the wire nuts they include do not have the coiled spring found in quality wire nuts
That's downright scary! Do companies really do that?

Yes, Spencer, only use wire nuts with steel coils inside.

Old 07-23-13, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll order it and try to bypass and see if it works.

Yea, I meant a pull chain. The fan blades will be barely over 7 ft off the ground, so we should be ok there.

I'll definitely use good wire nuts. Better to spend a couple bucks and know they'll stay connected!

Thanks again for your help! I didn't want to do anything dangerous, so I appreciate your expertise!

Old 07-23-13, 07:10 PM
Yea, I meant a pull chain.
Not sure why that would be a problem though...

The fan blades will be barely over 7 ft off the ground, so we should be ok there.
OK, then you should be good to go.

I'll definitely use good wire nuts. Better to spend a couple bucks and know they'll stay connected!
In all likelihood, the small orange wire nuts will be as large as you need - maybe even the small blues. See what comes with it and look for the same size and color, if the ones shipped don't have the metal coils in them.