Connecting Ceiling Fan With Switch

Old 07-24-13, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting Ceiling Fan With Switch

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...ng-switch.html

Thanks for having me here, i'm a newbie. I just have the same problem and kept on thinking if i can use the same wiring instructions given by PJmax. I printed it out already as my cheat. This time i want to connect a ceiling fan with light. I want to show some pictures so it would be more clear to all of you gurus in this forum. Im planning to put a ceiling fan and this room has no power supply for the ceilng fan to run. It has a single switch and it is powering athe upper socket in one of the receptacle as seen in picture. Can i use this present single switch and re wire it to power up my ceiling fan? Im ok to use the pull out chain in the ceiling fan to turn on off the lights and the the fan. Or As seen on my pictures can you give me some re wiring instructions on making 2 switch to individually power up my fan and lights. Many thanks in advance. Name:  IMAG0019.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  12.8 KBName:  IMAG0020.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  13.2 KBName:  IMAG0021.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  14.1 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 07-24-13 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-13, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is your house wired with conduit? So you have a hole in the ceiling with no wiring and no fan rated box, is that correct? Is there other wiring in the ceiling that is more readily accessible? This would be a solution if you didn't mind pulling chains for lights and fan.

Old 07-24-13, 01:28 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I checked and access the ceiling and saw the round and flat NM going to that wall receptacle not in a conduit. I am thinking of pulling the round NM and placed it to the ceiling fixture since it has exact length that will reach the fixture without destroying my dry wall. But i don't know why my single switch has the red and black inserted on it. Can i just re- wire according to PJmax connection on other post? The open hole on the ceiling was my approach. I bought this "Safety first" saddle box from Lowe's rated for ceiling fans up to 70 lbs max.

Last edited by joeybpy; 07-24-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-24-13, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can i just re- wire according to PJmax connection on other post?
IDK. I have no idea what PJ said in another thread. More importantly, none of us has any idea what you have now.

You need to determine how your switch and receptacle are wired now, starting with where the power comes in from the panel. Then we can help you design the best solution to meet your needs.

If you need help in figuring out your existing wiring, ask. We can help you with that too.

Old 07-25-13, 03:03 AM
So sorry to confuse everybody. It happened when i reply to an old post since it was the same problem with mine it just that i want to put a ceiling fan instead of ceiling light and my present switch was split to power up one upper outlet and i need to wire it to the ceiling. Now i was able to see it clearly. From the switch there are 3 wires: 2 Flat NM and 1 round NM. pretty much the same as the other thread titled:"Help installing/wiring new ceiling light, tying into existing switch".
From the receptacle are 2 wires, 1 flat NM and 1 round NM. The red wire is connected on the upper outlet and one tab was broken,while the other end of that red wire is connected to the switch. I want to use that switch to control a ceiling fan and make the receptacle hot on both outlets.

Last edited by joeybpy; 07-25-13 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-25-13, 07:55 AM
From the switch there are 3 wires: 2 Flat NM and 1 round NM. From the receptacle are 2 wires, 1 flat NM and 1 round NM.
In the switch box you have one 3-conductor cable and two 2-conductor cables. In the receptacle box you have one 3-conductor cable and one 2-conductor cable.

The red wire is connected on the upper outlet and one tab was broken,while the other end of that red wire is connected to the switch. I want to use that switch to control a ceiling fan and make the receptacle hot on both outlets.
Remove the red wire from the receptacle and cap it off. Replace the receptacle with one with no broken tabs. pigtail the two black wires together and connect that black pigtail to one of the brass terminals. Pigtail the two white wires together and connect that white pigtail to one of the silver terminals.

In the switch box, remove the red wire from the switch and cap it off. Pull a new 3-conductor cable from the switch box to the ceiling box.

Alternatively, if you can remove the 3-conductor cable between the switch and the receptacle without damaging it, and if it is long enough, you can use that cable between the switch and the ceiling. Replace the 3-conductor cable you removed with a 2-conductor cable with the same gauge wires.

Decide how you want to control the fan and light.

Tell us when the wiring and fan-rated ceiling box are complete.

Old 07-25-13, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It happened when i reply to an old post
You should not do that. You should always start your own thread.

i want to put a ceiling fan instead of ceiling light and my present switch was split to power up one upper outlet and i need to wire it to the ceiling.
Which just adds to the confusion since they aren't the same. You always need to start from scratch describing your situation.

From the receptacle are 2 wires, 1 flat NM and 1 round NM.
No, those are not wires. They are cables. Is the flat one a 2-conductor cable (black, white, bare) and the round one 3-conductor (black, red, white, bare)?

The red wire is connected on the upper outlet and one tab was broken,while the other end of that red wire is connected to the switch
So you want to just make the receptacle always hot and have only the fan on the switch. Good. At the receptacle disconnect the red wire and cap off. Install a new receptacle with tab and connect the black wire(s) to the receptacle.

Have you run a three conductor cable between the switch and the ceiling box?

Explanation: The two conductor cable at the switch box is your power in. The 3-conductor cable carries both switched (red) and unswitched (black) power to the receptacle.

Old 07-25-13, 10:24 AM
The two conductor cable at the switch box is your power in. The 3-conductor cable carries both switched (red) and unswitched (black) power to the receptacle.
There appear to be two 2-conductor cables at the switch. If so, the second one is presumably feeding out to other loads.

Old 07-25-13, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all your replies. My apologies Sir Ray. Now i know what to buy and do. I'll let you know when It is done.

Old 07-25-13, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
<LOL>No Sirs in here. I'm just a redneck wannabe sparkey.