Powering up 10m of rgb led strip 60led/m

Old 07-29-13, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powering up 10m of rgb led strip 60led/m

Hey there, didnt know where to post this else but here.

I bought a 5m reel rgb led strip with 60led/m, a power supply 12v 5a, and a mini controller.

5M 5050 SMD Non Waterproof RGB 300 LED Strip 24 44 Key IR 12V 5A Power Supply | eBay

Now I bought another 5m reel of the same led strip and dont know how to power them both up, was looking for amplifiers on ebay, got really confused, on how to choose and connect them. So Im asking for your help, which one do i need from these :

12V 24V LED Data Repeater RGB SMD 5050 Strips Light Signal Amplifier Controller | eBay
6A Common Anode DC 12V LED Amplifier for 5050 3528 RGB SMD LED Light Strips | eBay
Mini RGB LED Amplifier for LED Strip Light Signal Amplifier DC12V New | eBay
DC 12V 9A 3CH LED RGB Signal Amplifier for SMD 5050 3528 LED Light Strip | eBay

Or maybe I need some other, or its easier to just buy the 12v 10a power supply, I really cant figure this out, and I have tried, looked for forums on led strips on 2 languages !( there seems to be none of those btw ! ) so im stuck, and a bit frustrated, and this is the only place I think I can get real help. Also if there were a scheme for the connection, thadbe great, ty.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-13, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Almost any one of those repeaters will work for you. I like the one I left in the link below. You will also need to order a 12 volt 5 amp power supply to run the new repeater.

The wiring is extremely straightforward and color coded. R=red, B=blue, G=green and and the fourth connection is the common. Can be white or black.

12V 24V LED Data Repeater RGB SMD 5050 Strips Light Signal Amplifier Controller | eBay

Old 08-02-13, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the reply, I was thinking about the first one, but seems the Mini RGB LED Amplifier does the same, and cost like a buck and change, so I got it on my desk already, waiting for the strip to try it out. Anyway Ill need a power supply, and Im thinking of buying one for 10amps or a second 5amp. Actually a bit confused about the power supply too, one listings say that a 12v 5A is good for one 5m 300led strip, and the strip consumes 72W of power, but a 12v 5A is only 60W, and it ussualy says that you have to have like a 10% more powerfull supply for the strip for it to work at its best and longest. So now im thinking of buying a 12v 15a power supply, the price range between 10A and 15A is like 3 - 4$ so guess thats the best choice.

Anyway thank you for your answer, and would really apreceate if you know where I can find some more information about led strip lights, I know its out there somewhere, just cant seem to find it. Mby some forum or guides or smth like that. DIY 4ever

Old 08-02-13, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
I did notice that the power supply seemed undersized but that would only be if you ran all colors at max brightness level.

They've assembled the kit using a 5amp supply so one would think it would be OK.

There are so many companies selling LED products now that it's hard to keep up with them.

I'm always checking around so I'll keep my eyes open. Make sure you post back and let us know how the setup goes.

Old 08-05-13, 03:13 PM
Hey there again !

Well, just got my second 5m reel, just came home late. so made a quick test, connected it to the end of the 1st reel with the same 12v 5a power supply, the 2nd one lit up and the whole 10m got a bit dimmer, hardly noticable, so I guess for an average user that kind of setup would be okay. Going to do some more tests in my spare time, will write back asap, so everything seems good for now. Still wish there was some educational site on the subject, well, for now Im glad to find all this out on my own

Old 08-05-13, 04:03 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You might check out this site: Hardware