Problem with 3 way switch and outdoor lights

Old 07-30-13, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with 3 way switch and outdoor lights

Ok, guys, just bought a house and replaced some of the lights that didn't work. Here is a run down of what is happening,

I have a 3 way switch in the garage with a motion light on the garage, and i have a 3 way switch in the house with a motion light attached to the house, when i turn the switch on in the garage the motion light only on the garage will work, not on the house, if i turn on the switch in the house it turns the motion light on the house into a strobe light and the garage motion light comes on but is very dim. What is happening here?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-13, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you're describing a circuit with a pair of 3-way switches that control two outside lights, and that each of those lights also has a built-in motion sensor. Is that correct?

If so, in order to help you troubleshoot the problem we will need to know how this circuit is wired. Tell us where the power come in, the number of cables and the wires in each cable at each of the four boxes, and how each of the wires is connected now. You don't need to take any wire connections apart yet - just tell us what you see.

Old 07-31-13, 01:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
You have a total of two 3 way switches and 2 motion sensor lights.

It requires extra wiring to be able to have those two different lights at two different locations in the circuit.

Once you tell us what you see maybe we can rectify the situation.

Old 07-31-13, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The box in the house.

2 black wires and one white wire, a black and a white come out of the same piece of romex which i am guessing is the hot and netural, the other black comes out of a piece of romex by it's self which i am guessing is the common wire.

Light on the house - white and black wire

Switch in the garage - same as house switch.

Light on garage - black and white wire also.

Old 07-31-13, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In a correctly wired 3-way circuit when there is cable there is normally at least one 3-conductor cable (red, black, white). You have not mentioned any 3-conductor cable.

3-way switches have two traveler terminals (same color-usually brass) and one common terminal (odd colored-usually dark gray).

The above are very important in your description for us but aren't mentioned. Please try again.

a piece of romex by it's self which i am guessing is the common wire.
Romex is cable not wire. You should not be using just a single wire inside a cable.