Outdoor lighting problem

Old 08-01-13, 08:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor lighting problem

My outdoor patio lights were working fine until a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was the bulb, so I replaced it, but it still didn't work. Tried a couple of other bulbs, but still nothing. Did some Googling and found some possible solutions. Tried prying the connector piece up in the fixture to make sure the bulb could touch it when screwed in, but that didn't work. Unhooked the entire fixture, cleaned all the wires with steel wool and put it back together, but it still doesn't work. I used my little meter device to verify I have electricity to the fixture, which I do. This is the first light in a series of four lights, the remaining three lights also do not work. I would think that if the problem was further down the series the first light would still work, correct? Should I try the same steps with the remaining three lights or could something else be the problem? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 03:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would look at the junction box before the fixtures. Does the wiring run underground?

Old 08-01-13, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What kind of lights are they? Low voltage? 120 volt?
What type of tester did you use? Digital meter? Non-contact voltage tester?

Old 08-01-13, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
I used my little meter device to verify I have electricity to the fixture, which I do.
Is that an actual meter ? Did it read around 120 vac ?

You need to carefully check from the center pin to the shell or the white to black wire.

I

Old 08-01-13, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This is the first light in a series of four lights, the remaining three lights also do not work. I would think that if the problem was further down the series the first light would still work, correct?
Yes, that's correct. The problem is with this fixture, either in the wiring or in the fixture itself.

I used my little meter device to verify I have electricity to the fixture, which I do.
What is that device and how did you do the test?

Old 08-06-13, 09:08 AM
Wiring does not run under ground. Couldn't tell you the type of light right now as I am not at home. The meter was a non-contact voltage tester, the kind that lights up when you get close to the wires. I have another meter that actually gives a reading, but I did not use this meter.

Old 08-06-13, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You need to use the meter that reads voltage. A non-contact tester will tell you nothing about the condition of your neutral conductor.