Harbor Breeze installation

Old 08-10-13, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Harbor Breeze installation

Ceiling box is red, white, black, ground. I connected black to black, blue to red, white to white, greens to ground. I based it on other stuff I read and the instructions. No lights, but the fan is rocking. Switch controls the fan.

Thoughts:
Blue/red connection is loose.
Light connection between fan motor and light didn't click properly
Instructions were wrong and I need black and blue on black

I know nothing about the wiring set up and don't have proper tools to test anything. I would like the fan to stay on and just the light to turn off with the switch. All my other fans work that way, though the guy at Lowes said it wouldn't work.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-13, 09:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you have only one switch the red may not be connected. You may need to replace a simplex switch with a duplex switch or hard wire the red. If you have two switches already but one doesn't work it may need to be connected or the red hardwired.

Old 08-10-13, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thought:
The red wire is not connected to power.

What kind of switch do you have?
Do you have one or two switches?

the guy at Lowes said it wouldn't work
In general, the salespeople at big box home centers aren't reliable sources of project information. Unfortunately.

I know nothing about the wiring set up and don't have proper tools to test anything. I would like the fan to stay on and just the light to turn off with the switch.
That's OK. Turn the circuit off at the breaker. Pull the switch(es) out of the wall far enough to see all of the wires in the box, but don't disconnect anything. Tell us about each cable, each wire, and how each wire is connected.

Old 08-10-13, 11:44 PM
It's a single switch. I was worried the red wouldn't be connected to anything since it was just shoved into the ceiling with a cap on it. Hoped it would work though since it was just a light in that room and all my others work.

I'll compare it to one of my others in the morning and report back any differences in the wall switch. I'd rather not take apart the whole thing, but since the dan is controlled by the switch now, I may have to.

Old 08-11-13, 10:11 AM
I'd rather not take apart the whole thing, but since the dan is controlled by the switch now, I may have to.
You said you connected black to black and blue to red above your fan/light combo. If the black and red wires both come from the switch box, as they almost certainly do, you should be able to control the fan, the light, or both by changing the connections and controls in the switch box. You shouldn't need to do anything more, or different, in the ceiling.

Old 08-11-13, 10:32 AM
To echo Nash, as I wrote earlier:
You may need to replace a simplex switch with a duplex switch or hard wire the red.
With only a 3-conductor cable at the light then in all likelihood power is at the switch and you only need to connect black of power in to black of the three conductor and pigtail that connection to the switch along with the red, very easy.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-11-13 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-11-13, 11:19 AM
With the wiring you've described so far, and the results, what you're likely to find at the switch is two black wires connected to the switch and a red wire capped off.

If so, to have
the fan to stay on and just the light to turn off with the switch,
turn the circuit off, disconnect the two black wires from the switch and splice them together with a 6" to 8" black pigtail. Connect that pigtail to one of the terminals on the switch and connect the red wire to the other switch terminal.

I think this is what Ray meant to say.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-11-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-11-13, 11:46 AM
I think this is what Ray meant to say.
Yes! Post corrected.

Old 08-11-13, 03:18 PM
With the wiring you've described so far, and the results, what you're likely to find at the switch is two black wires connected to the switch and a red wire capped off.
That's exactly what it looked like. If I splice the two blacks and put the red in, will the switch turn everything off and on or will it control just the light? I haven't had time to pull apart one of the other switches that the switch controls the light and the fan is always on.

Single switch not double. That's the set

Old 08-11-13, 04:31 PM
If I splice the two blacks and put the red in,
If you mean the red on one screw of the switch, yes. The blacks are pigtailed to the other switch screw not just spliced.

Old 08-11-13, 05:48 PM
If I splice the two blacks and put the red in, will the switch turn everything off and on or will it control just the light?
If you splice the two blacks and the red together the fan and the light will both be unswitched. The wall switch won't control anything.

Remove the two black wires from the switch.

Connect the red wire to one terminal on the switch.

Cut a 6" - 8" piece of black wire the same gauge as the black wires in the box. It's called a "pigtail". Strip about 5/8" of insulation off each end of the pigtail.

Splice the two black wires in the box and the pigtail together. Cap the splice with a wire nut. Connect the other end of the pigtail to the other terminal on the switch.

The power to the fan will be unswitched. You can control it with the pull chain. The switch will control the light.

Old 08-13-13, 11:33 AM
Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Old 08-13-13, 11:54 AM
Let us know how it works out.

Old 08-17-13, 02:46 PM
I have it wired up. Only problem, they gave me a stranded wire instead of a solid core so I'm nervous about turning the power back one.

Old 08-17-13, 03:18 PM
Stranded or solid is fine.