Adding 2-wire On/Off Switch to Wall Sconce

Old 08-14-13, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding 2-wire On/Off Switch to Wall Sconce

I need guidance on adding a 2-wire rotary canopy switch to a wall sconce. I want to add two wall sconces to our dining room wall. There is a wall outlet directly below in the same stud bay where we want them mounted. The nearest light switch is over 18' away and at this time I don't want to have to drill holes through the wall studs and patch the drywall. May be a project in the future. The wall sconces do not have an on/off switch. My idea is to wire the sconces directly to the wall outlet below and add a rotary canopy switch so we will be able to switch the light on and off. I can drill the appropriate size hole in the sconce and mount the switch so it looks like it came from the factory like that.

My questions:
1. Will this idea work?
2. Is the diagram I have included the appropriate method to wire the switch in?

I have attached photos of the sconce, the switch and a diagram of how I think the wiring would be done. Can any of the electrical experts on this forum verify this is feasible and safe?

Thanks!!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-13, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 402 Votes on 378 Posts
Your wiring idea is ok but the UL listing on a fixture is based on a completed unit. If you were to do what you wanted the switch wiring must be encased in metal. That means that the tube where you want to put the switch needs to be hollow.

I think the switch would normally be on the back plate on a fixture like that.

Old 08-14-13, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I need guidance on adding a 2-wire rotary canopy switch to a wall sconce. I want to add two wall sconces to our dining room wall... My idea is to wire the sconces directly to the wall outlet below and add a rotary canopy switch so we will be able to switch the light on and off. I can drill the appropriate size hole in the sconce and mount the switch so it looks like it came from the factory like that.

I have attached photos of the sconce, the switch and a diagram of how I think the wiring would be done. Can any of the electrical experts on this forum verify this is feasible and safe?
No experts here, just us members.

I don't see any way to do you have in mind, let alone safely. You might be able to mount the switch in the canopy (wall plate) but even that would void the UL listing for the fixture.

I would either exchange these fixtures for ones that have switches built in, and there are hundreds of those, or install a switch box and switch between the receptacle and the box for the sconce.

Old 08-14-13, 02:53 PM
PJmax, yes the tubing is hollow. My plan was to drill the appropriate size hole to mount the switch as shown in the photo and pull some new wires through the hollow tubing, as required from the junction box and the bulb receptacle. It does make sense to mount the switch on the back plate as you suggested. It would certainly be easier.

Nashkat1, thanks for the guidance. I do understand about the UL listing issue. I was hoping to use these particular sconces as we already have some of these installed (tied to wall switches) in two adjacent areas and we were trying to keep continuity.

Old 08-14-13, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Lighting cannot be added to the 20 amp small appliance receptacle circuit in the dining room. You will need to find another source of power.

Old 08-14-13, 03:37 PM
The wall outlets in the dining room are not on a 20 amp small appliance receptacle circuit. The area where the dining room is now was originally a family room and set up for general purpose wall plugs. I do appreciate your input. I came here to the forum to see if my idea was feasible. If not, I will have to step back and find another solution.

Last edited by homedoc108; 08-14-13 at 03:52 PM.