bathroom light/fan switch

Old 08-14-13, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom light/fan switch

I attempted to replace above switch. Reconnected wires as they were, now the fan will not shut off. I tried switching things around, still won't shut off. There is one red wire and two black wires. the red one is the constant which I connected on the left side of the switch and the two black wires on the right side of the switch (as they were ) and the fan WILL NOT SHUT OFF. I give up... My question is can I disable the wire for the fan. IE, can i wrap the end in electrical tape or something to turn it off.. I just won't have a fan. I have lived without a light in my bathroom for over a week now. I am definitely a novice at this and can't afford an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-13, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

Yes. Kill the circuit, take each wire off the switch, and put a wire nut on each wire. Push the wires back in the box and point the wire nuts up.

Now, about your fan/light combo. Electricity doesn't care what color the wire is. That's for us. Also, a switch doesn't have a left or right because there is no set way to mount one.

One of the two black wires should be the power from the panel. Look inside the switch box. Is there one cable with a black and a white wire and one with a black red and white wire? Are the two white wires spliced together?

If so, the black wire in the 2-conductor cable should be the power coming in from the panel. The other black wire and the red wire go to the light and fan.

Now look at your switch. If it's a duplex switch, it is likely to have two brass terminals next to each other that are joined with a metal tab, and two other terminals that are separated from that one and from each other. Terminate the power-in wire to either one of the two terminals that are joined. Terminate the other black wire to one of the two separate terminals and the red wir to the other.

Turn the power back on.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-17-13 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-15-13, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your light/fan switch? Does it look something like the image I attached?