4 lines into 1 switch and 1 outlet

Old 08-21-13, 07:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
4 lines into 1 switch and 1 outlet

Hello, little confused as how to wire a switch and outlet. Have wired numerous outlets and plugs before but stuck as this is a little more complex. Garage has 2 light switches which operate 4 sets of lights in the garage ceiling. I want to change out the plate to a plate that has 1 switch and 1 dual outlet. For every 2 sets of lights there is a breaker. In the existing box there is 4 lines running assuming 1 per each set of lights. The grounds have a wing nut as do the nuteruals. And 1 hot wire from each set of wires is attached to the existing 2 switches. So a a total of 4 hot wires, 4 grounds, and 4 nuturels Can post photos, if anyone needs. Also, if possible could someone post a wiring diagram? Thanks a million.

Old 08-21-13, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have four cables to that box. If those lights are on two circuits then you most likely have two cables for feed in and two cables that feed out to the fixtures.

Technically since you have two circuits there ..... all the neutrals should not be connected together. You should have two and two. All the grounds can be connected together.

Now you want to put all lights on one circuit and one switch and I'm guessing the receptacle on the other circuit.

With one switch all lights must now be on the same circuit.

Do I have it correct ?

Old 08-22-13, 05:39 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello, and thank you for the welcoming! Yes, as stated there is a total of 4 lines running from the existing metal switch box they have 4 lines total running into the box. 2 grounds & 2 whites together for each switch then 1 hot wire from each of the 4 wires to control each switch, so a total of 4 hot/black wires. Yes I want to change out the existing face plate so it has 1 dual outlet and 1 switch which turns on all the lights. Reason for this is because no outlets exist in the 8 car garage beside on the far wall. So if you need to plug in something like an air pump you must get out an extension chord which makes it an inconvenience. Sorry if it sounds a little confusing and thank you for replying/helping me. I'll post a photo for you as we'll.

Old 08-22-13, 07:58 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How large, in watts, is each set of lights? Are the two circuits feeding this box both 15A, both 20A, or one of each?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: