Need advice re: 3-Way Lighted Rocker Switch not turning LED lights completely

Old 09-01-13, 04:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice re: 3-Way Lighted Rocker Switch not turning LED lights completely

I recently completed a renovation in my basement, where I installed the following recessed LED lights in the ceiling:

Lithonia Lighting 6" P Series:
6" P Series LED Modules -

In two places in the basement, I want to use a "lighted" (pilot light) 3-Way Rocker Switch. It turns out though, that when I use them, the LED's don't turn all the way off. If I use regular light bulbs instead, there are no such no problems.

I have now tried using the 15amp rocker switches from both Leviton and Pass & Seymour/Legrand, but same result. I guess because the pilot light on the rocker switch is on, that somehow the LED light continues to use that tiny voltage for itself.

Am I missing something? I know that it all works fine if I don't use the lighting / pilot light. However, I would preffer to have it so people dont search for switches in the dark.

All advice and input is much appreciated!

Old 09-01-13, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,420 Votes on 1,313 Posts
There really isn't a way around it. The night light lamp in the switch is in series with the load.

It's actually hard to believe that the load of the LED's is not enough to keep the night light on without the LED's also lighting.

Old 09-02-13, 11:22 AM
X
Two non-ideal solutions would be to either replace one of the recessed lights with an incandescent or just not use a lighted switch.

Old 09-03-13, 10:24 AM
M
Thank you all for the the replies, which explained the situation.

Old 09-04-13, 01:05 PM
M
Hello all again,

After reading all of the infomative material here and almost giving up, I went to my local Lowe's and purchased the CooperLighting HALO RL560WH-R, which are by not any means cheap: $50 each:

Shop Halo Rl560 Series 6-in White Baffle Recessed Lighting Trim at Lowes.com

RL56 Series

So guess what? They werk PERFECTLY with the 3-Way Lighted (pilot) rockers on both sides. The pilot light works correctly on the rocker AND the LED turns itself off completely and turned off at either end of the 3-way. I tested it with both the Leviton and Pass & Seymour/Legrand rockers. This model also works perfectly with the Lutron Maestro dimmer.

Again, I fully tested these on both of my 3-way runs (one having two LEDs and the other having 4 LEDs), and believe me, it does work. I assume that these HALO's have some extra sensor that prevents the tiny voltage that keeps the pilot light on from penetrating into the LED module.

Sure, I ended up paying $45 per each one (using 10% off Lowes coupon), but they are working and have pretty much the exact same specs as what I had with Lithonia (3000K, 9.4 watts, 83 CRI and 600 Lumens ).

So, again thanks to you all, but in case this message can help someone else, there IS a way out if you pay more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: