24-hour timer and occupancy sensor on same circuit

Old 09-02-13, 07:18 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
24-hour timer and occupancy sensor on same circuit

For my daugher's room, I currently have an outlet wired to a light switch. During the day/evening, when it begins to get dark, I would like the light to be automated since my daughter cannot reach the switch yet. And besides, children are awful with light switches.

Of course, while she should be sleeping, the motion sensor should be disabled and the lights off. I still need a way to force the lights on however, should I need to go in there to comfort a nightmare or something.

So I thought about cutting the current 1-gang hole for the existing switch into a 2-gang and putting a 24-hour timer and motion sensor side by side. The timer would allow the motion sensor to operate during awake hours, and disable it at bed time. Most timers have a simple override switch so I can easily force the light (or more specifically the motion sensor) active at any time.

So in this design, the timer always has power, the motion sensor only gets power when the timer says so, and the outlet only gets power when both the sensor and timer say so.

Now, I'm not a skilled electrician. I've done plenty of low-voltage (Cat5, RG6) and replaced a few light switches. If I were only installing a timer OR a sensor, I'm pretty confident I could handle that. But installing both is confusing me a little. How would I wire this up? What advice can you give?

I have not opened the switch yet to see how it is wired. I intend to do that, I simply have not yet. So I'm not sure if the wire from the breaker goes to the outlet first or the switch first. In fact, I'm not even sure if there is anything else on the circuit, but my gut says there is. I do know that only one outlet in the room is controlled by the switch, and I know both sockets on the receptacle are switched. It is not a half-hot.

Last edited by thommcgrath; 09-02-13 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,329 Upvotes on 2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring shouldn't be too difficult but you'll need to check the wiring in the switch box first.
You are going to need a neutral at that location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: