Need help on hanging a ceiling fan on existing medallion

Old 09-05-13, 12:08 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help on hanging a ceiling fan on existing medallion

I've just removed a 70 pound chandelier and want to install a ceiling fan to where the chandelier used to be. There is a medallion already on the ceiling. The hole in the center of the medallion is only 4 1/2" wide and the medallion is about 1/2" thick around the center hole. My ceiling fan comes with a remote control. The remote receiver is supposed to slide into the space just above the down rod. The remote receiver is about 5 1/2" long. Due to the size of the hole and the the thickness of the medallion, I have no room to slide the remote receiver in after the bracket is installed. The fan canopy is not large enough to hide the remote receiver outside of the bracket. I don't want to enlarge the center hole of the medallion as it will surely break apart. Is there any way I can lower the hanging bracket so I can rest the remote receiver on the surface of the medallion and cover it up with the fan canopy? I'm thinking about using metal screw spacers. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-13, 02:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It may be a moot point unless the box is fan rated. You can't screw a ceiling fan to the ears of a normal junction box. You will need something like this in order to be compliant. But to answer your question, you can use washers to space the bracket down, provided your screws are still long enough.

Name:  fan rated box.jpg
Views: 3117
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 09-05-13, 01:37 PM
K
I'm not sure if the box is fan rated. The chandelier used to be there is kind of big. According to the manufacture spec, it weights 70+ lbs. It is too heavy for me to lift it up by hand until after I've removed ~200 pieces of crystals hanging on it. I thought if the box is good enough to support a 70 lbs chandelier, it should be able to handle a ceiling fan. The box is kind of look like the one below. The one I have has a double "ears" at the opposite corners of the box (as opposed to the triple ears in the image). Well, I stumble upon something called an octagon box extension ring. Can I use that? Thanks!

Name:  54151-FANNB.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  46.4 KB

Old 09-05-13, 02:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are the fixture screws 10-24?

Old 09-06-13, 12:09 PM
K
The box accepts 10-32 screws. What does it mean? Here are the actual pictures

Name:  2013-09-05_20-29-16_398.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  13.6 KB

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-13, 12:27 AM
K
Can I put a 1/2" pancake box under the octagon electrical box to fill the space? Is it legal? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable using just washers. 1/2" should be good enough. I'm thinking to thread the screws through the pancake box to the octagon box above to secure both the pancake box and the bracket of my fan. I saw online there are pancake box rated for ceiling fan. Will the pancake box accepts 10/32 screws? BTW, the ceiling box where the fan was hung before and the box where I want to move the fan to are the same. I hope they are fan rated. Thanks!