Replacing Compact Fluorescent Bulb with GX24Q-3 Base

Old 09-05-13, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Compact Fluorescent Bulb with GX24Q-3 Base

Here's a strange story. I was going to change out this CFL bulb in a recessed can. The bulb was already working, I wanted to see what type of base was holding the bulb. As I was pulling it out of the pins, I squeezed too hard and shattered the bulb in my hand (I was wearing gloves for safety).

In any case, I purchased a replacement bulb ( the exact same one, same model # and everything ) and for some reason it won't turn back on.

The other bulb was still on in the other can next to it. I tried to pull it out, same thing, shattered the bulb. Tried to put a new bulb into that one as well and it wouldn't come on.

In the house the same base exists in another room, I plug the same new bulb into that base and it works just fine. Question is, did I blow two ballasts in that one room? I can't see what's in the ceiling right now and I really don't want to drill holes in the dry wall to replace both ballasts.

Can shattering a bulb blow a ballast? What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-13, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! CFL's contain their own ballasts, so you didn't blow anything up. Did you ever get the bulb from the base? Is it an Edison base (regular light bulb)? You mentioned "pins", so we don't really know what type bulb you have. Could you post a couple of pictures of what you have so we can see what you see? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-08-13, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GX24 bulbs use an external ballast. The ballast is usually mounted on the fixture junction box and is about the size and shape of a deck of cards.

The bulb usually consists of 2 or 3 U-shaped tubes and can be somewhat delicate. The trick is to NOT squeeze the bulbs toward each other but lightly grip the tubes from the sides and as near the bulb base as possible. A slight wiggle while pulling should bring the pins right out of the socket.

If the fixture is powered while removing the bulb (especially if the bulb breaks), it's possible that the ballast could be compromised. But the ballast can be replaced.

Good hunting.

Old 09-09-13, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I misunderstood. I was thinking you were removing a normal CFL. Yes, the GX24's have an external ballast, and you shouldn't remove any energized bulb with it in the ON position.