Need assistance with recessed lighting layout

Old 09-19-13, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need assistance with recessed lighting layout

I asked a question a few weeks about the height of cans in an unused attic and now am finally getting around to beginning the install.

My wife loves light. Lots of light. She wants recessed lights in the master bedroom. And not mood lighting that you see in some bedrooms. She wants a lot of light.

The room is rectangular at 19x13. There is a 52 inch ceiling fan in the center of the room. I've been playing with layouts for the 5 inch cans and really can't make up my mind as I am worried about not having enough light. At first I thought 6 cans - 3 in a line on each side of the long run of the room would work. Then I thought 8 - 4 and 4 in lines along the long run of the room. Then 10 in a pattern around the perimeter of the room. Then thought possibly mixing 5 and 3 or 4 inch cans to not go overkill on the light.

Basically all I have done is further confused myself! Any suggestions? Just want good light throughout the room and am not looking to spotlight anything or wall wash anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-13, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
In that sized room 8 should be good. Laying it out on paper is easier to see.

Illustration shown as one example.

Name:  QQ.jpg
Views: 11884
Size:  16.6 KB

Old 09-19-13, 01:29 PM
Thanks PJ. That was pretty close to what I sketched myself but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious or over or under installing lights.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-13, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
My diagram could be considered a little heavy....... no problem....make sure you install a dimmer.

Old 09-19-13, 02:11 PM
"a little heavy" works great as my wife wants a lot of light in there. And I am installing a Lutron IR dimmer in there. I actually had a 1000 watt one from our previous house that I never installed. Probably overkill but since I already have it............