2 T12 ballasts to 1 T8 ballast running 4 fluorescent bulbs

Old 09-25-13, 03:06 PM
2 T12 ballasts to 1 T8 ballast running 4 fluorescent bulbs

Hey everyone, I have searched the internet and can't find a positive answer.

As of right now I have 2 red, 2 blue and 2 yellow wires coming out of each of the ballasts that are in the u it right now. The single ballast going in has 2 red, 2 blue and 2 yellow.

So do I just combine 1 blue from each old blast to a single blue, same for the red and same for the yellow?

Just wanted to be 100% sure before wiring this up. Thanks everyone for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-13, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
The usual answer is follow the diagram on the new ballast. Post a clear cropped enlarged picture of the diagram and we can walk you through it. Do you have two wires at each tombstone?

Old 09-25-13, 03:43 PM
The first image is 1 of the 2 existing T12 ballasts in the unit. The second image is the new T8 ballast

Attached Images   
Old 09-25-13, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Notice I said cropped and enlarged. That was so we could actually read them.

It should look something like this but be readable. Yours couldn't be enlarged enough for good detail but I tried.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 18092
Size:  22.5 KB

Old 09-25-13, 04:55 PM
Sorry about that. I thought you meant to crop it due to size. I took a few more. First is one of the two old ones and the second is the replacement.

Attached Images   
Old 09-25-13, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Attachment 18298Now that is what we needed thanks.

On one end of the fixture the four wires from two of the tombstones will be connected together and connected to one of the two yellows. The remaining four wires on that end will be connected together and go to the other yellow.

On the other end each of the tombstones will have their pair wires connected together. Each of these pairs will have one of the remaining colors going to them. The two new blues one to each bulb of one pair with a shared yellow. The reds one two each bulb of the other pair pair with a shared yellow.

Ignore old wire colors Except black and white of line in.

Still can't read wire colors very well so if the new wire colors don't sound right post back.

Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 32595
Size:  27.5 KB

Old 09-25-13, 05:35 PM
I guess I'm a little confused as to your directions. The pictures shows on the right side (from top to bottom) red, red, blue, blue, yellow, yellow.

I have a total of 4 red wires, 4 blue wires and 4 yellow wires coming from the old units. It is going to 2 red wires, 2 blue wires, 2 yellow wires.

Thanks for the help

Old 09-25-13, 05:54 PM
Just as Ray stated, FOLLOW THE DIAGRAM ON THE NEW BALLAST! The new diagram shows that BOTH leads on EACH end of EACH tube gets combined to ONE lead of the new ballast.

This isn't a moon shot.

Old 09-25-13, 05:56 PM
I guess I'm a little confused as to your directions. The pictures shows on the right side (from top to bottom) red, red, blue, blue, yellow, yellow.
Yes, coming out of your new ballast.

I have a total of 4 red wires, 4 blue wires and 4 yellow wires coming from the old units. It is going to 2 red wires, 2 blue wires, 2 yellow wires.
and Ray's answer is basically "connect those exactly as the diagram on the new ballast shows them."

Pick one end of the fixture. Splice all of the wires from two adjacent tombstones there to one of the yellow wires. On the other end of the fixture, splice the wires from one of the tombstones opposite the ones to one of the (let's say) red wires. Splice the wires from the other opposing tombstone to the other red wire.

Back at the first end, splice the wires from the other two tombstones to the other yellow wire. On the red/blue end, splice the wires from one of the two remaining tombstones to one of the (we're saying) blue wires and the wires from the last tombstone to the other blue wire.

Old 09-25-13, 05:56 PM
I did that, but only 2 of the bulbs came on. (2 on the right side of the unit)

Old 09-25-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
I have a total of 4 red wires, 4 blue wires and 4 yellow wires coming from the old units.
As I sad the old colors don't matter. They will not match. You connect according to where each old wires is connected not its color. Follow the new diagram.

Old 09-25-13, 06:08 PM
I can't see behind the metal shroud to where each wire goes

Old 09-25-13, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
If you look at the ballast you'll see two reds and one yellow close together. That's one tube.
You'll see two blues and one yellow close together. That's the other tube.

Go to one end of the fixture and tie the two red fixture wires together and connect to one red ballast line. Connect the two blue wires together and connect to the other red ballast wire. Connect the yellow ballast wire of that set to the two yellows at the opposite end of the fixture.

Go to the other end of the fixture. Connect the two reds together to one of the ballast blue wires.
Connect the two red wires to the other blue ballast wire. The remaining yellow ballast wire goes to the two yellows at the opposite end of the fixture.

Old 09-25-13, 06:32 PM
I did that, but only 2 of the bulbs came on. (2 on the right side of the unit)
Then something isn't connected properly.

I can't see behind the metal shroud to where each wire goes
What metal shroud? In most fluorescent tube fixtures everything snaps together. You should be able to get to everything you need to see and then snap it all back in place.

Old 09-25-13, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Does this help you understand?

Name:  Ballast.jpg
Views: 27116
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 09-26-13, 01:16 AM
That helps a little bit, but I just need a little clarification on what 4 wires go to the yellow wires (from old ballast 1) and what 2 wires connect to red 1.

Counting the number of wires you have here, it totals 16 existing wires with 6 new wires. Only thing is, there are only 12 existing wires to choose from. So I am a little confused on where the extra 4 wires come from.

Old 09-26-13, 01:39 AM
Group Moderator
Each set of tubes was on it's own ballast originally. Did you keep the 6 wires from each ballast separate ?

Old 09-26-13, 01:57 AM
Yes I did. But his diagram shows 14 wires and there are only 12 to work with. I'm just wondering where the extra 2 wire come from?

Old 09-26-13, 02:05 AM
Group Moderator
Working with one set of 6 wires in the fixture.
Take the two red fixture wires and connect them to one of the new ballast red wires.
Take the two blue fixture wires and connect them to the other new ballast red wire.
Take the two yellow wires and connect them to the new ballast yellow wire.

Working with the second set of 6 wires.
Take the two red fixture wires and connect them to one of the new ballast blue wires.
Take the two blue fixture wires and connect them to the other new ballast blue wire.
Take the two yellow fixture wires and connect them to the last new ballast yellow wire.

Name:  zz.jpg
Views: 54809
Size:  23.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-26-13 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added diagram
Old 09-26-13, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Only thing is, there are only 12 existing wires to choose from.
Each bulb has four wires. There are four bulbs. That is 4X4=16 wires.

If you only count 14 you are missing two wires. Go to the tombstones. There should be two wires on each tombstone trace those wires back to your connection.

You seem to be looking at the old ballast wires. You need to look at the Tombstone wires. That is what all of the diagrams are based on.

Old 09-26-13, 11:43 AM
Aaaaah that def helps!!! Thanks so much. Done and done

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-13, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Great! Thanks for showing us the outcome. I'll bet it is a lot brighter.